• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Lightroom cc on iPad together with Lightroom classic on desktop

Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to figure out a workflow in which I can use Lightroom cc on my iPad together with classic on my desktop.

So when I am not traveling, import raw files in Classic on my desktop, edit them and be able to see the result (in full resolution) on my iPad.

And when I am traveling, import the raw files on my iPad, edit them and (after getting home) be able to see and edit the raw files on my desktop. 

Will this be possible? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Possible?" Yes, WITH ONE EXCEPTION to your question- Lr-Classic does NOT sync Full-size files to the Cloud.

But with that in mind- (assuming you have the Photography Plan with LrC 20Gb & Lr)

Make Lr-CLassic on your home computer the 'master' and primary hub for your photography.

Turn on 'Sync' in Lr-Classic (The Cloud icon top-right of screen in v9.4)

For selected photos you want to view and edit on the ipad- place them in Collections that are marked to Sync. These photos do not use any of your 20Gb cloud storage. (They sync to the Cloud as Smart Previews of 2560pixels long edge- not full size)

With Lightroom-mobile on the ipad when traveling- any photos you import from camera to the iPad will sync to the Cloud (they DO occupy cloud storage in your 20Gb ) and they will automatically sync 'down to your Lr-Classic catalog.

You can set the 'folder' location for these downloading files in Lr-Classic Preferences.

Lightroom Mobile and Web with Classic | Laura Shoe

To have Full-size files 'everywhere'- you would need to import all files to Lightroom v3.4 on the desktop home computer, when the 20Gb thus becomes a severe limiting factor!

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I do have tha plan with 20Gb cloud storage. But if needed, I don't mind to upgrade to the 1Tb plan.

I do want to have full-size files everywhere. When I am traveling I don't have a desktop with me but an iPad. So if I understand you correctly, this would not be possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a read of the advice in this forum thread-

It is possible with a workaround!

SYNC FULL SIZE FILES TO CLOUD & NO DUPLICATES

The summary is in this quote from @Jao vdL 

"FIRST sync the raw files from Classic to the cloud. Classic will upload all the files as smart previews. Then you open Lightroom :sun_behind_cloud:️ Desktop and import all the raw images from the exact spot they are referenced from in Classic (do not copy them or move them)."

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay I do understand this. But how to do this when I am traveling? I dont have LR desktop then. I do have an iPad pro with me and a external ssd drive where I can store my images on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But how to do this when I am traveling?

You don't!   The procedure (in the forum link above) to get FULL-SIZE files in the Cloud is a 'one-time' process using Lightroom-Desktop v3.4 on the home desktop computer before you travel.

When traveling with the iPad you are using Lightroom-Mobile that Imports your camera photos to the iPad and syncs them to Cloud storage as Full-size files.

Why is it so important to you that all your 'Home' Lr-Classic photos are in the Cloud as "Full-size"? Do you sell photos while traveling?

Unless you have a 'Commercial' reason for 'Full-size' then you may find that the 'proxy' files that Classic syncs are sufficiently suitable for viewing and basic editing on the iPad (except Sharpening and Noise Reduction).

Have you actually tried syncing from Lr-Classic and looking at the images on the iPad?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have tried the sync option from Lr-Classic (synced collections). When viewing those images on my iPad i see that they are less sharper (lower resolution) then when viewing them with Lr-Classic on my desktop or macbook. For example with macro photos you loose some fine details. Another thing is that when I edit a synced photo on my iPad, those edits are not synced back to Lr-Classic (I have not find a way to do that).
So thats why I am seeking a way to the best workflow for me, and maybe I have to accept a few things...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote " . Another thing is that when I edit a synced photo on my iPad, those edits are not synced back to Lr-Classic (I have not find a way to do that)."

This should automatically happen it may not be instantly as the speed of your online access will affect this process.

Can you provide more information about this claim? Is the sync process paused in LrC?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the synced Collection photos that are 'sent' to the Cloud are Proxy DNG images with a long edge of 2560pixels. This would account for your observation of loss of fine detail. But it does not change the "detail" of the 'originals' in the Lr-Classic Catalog.

What I do not understand is your comment- "edits are not synced back to Lr-Classic". You should not need to find a way to do that. It should occur automatically!

I can edit in Lr-mobile on my iPhone and within minutes I see the change in the photo on my home PC with Lr-Classic. (Both devices must have access to the web)

If you only have the iPad for traveling, and want access to full-size files in the Cloud, then I can only suggest you go with Lightroom-Desktop (v3.4) at home and Lightroom-Mobile (for IOS) on the iPad, and 'move' all you files to the Cloud as suggested in the link to the post from @Jao vdL 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have started all over. Removed all synced collections and cleared the cloud storage. Made a few new synced collections and when I now edit a photo on my iPad, the edits are indeed synced back to Lr-Classic. So that looks like working okay.

As I do understand now, I have to accept the resolution of 2560 pixels (long side) and stick with the 20Gb plan or upgrade to the 1Tb plan and pay the dubble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

>Okay I do understand this. But how to do this when I am traveling? I dont have LR desktop then. I do have an iPad pro with me and a external ssd drive where I can store my images on.

The first question was already answered but I didn't notice a good answer to this part. There are some major caveats here. Lightroom on the iPad CANNOT use external storage. You need to make sure you have enough internal storage on the iPad or a good internet connection, so that the iPad can upload files to the cloud and offload them from the local disk. Remeber that Lightroom on mobile is all about storing images in the cloud. You can import to the iPad if you have a card reader or can directly connect your camera. It is a two-step process where you need to import to the Photo roll first before you can import to Lightroom. This is quite problematic if you shoot lots of images.

Interestingly I wrote about this workflow and its problems a long time ago here: http://lagemaat.blogspot.com/2016/11/a-mobile-workflow-with-lightroom.html. Many of the issues I mentioned there still exist. Importing is a lot better nowadays if you have an iPad with a USB-c port but it is still a two step process. Mobile lightroom now supports many more editing options than it did in 2016 and is much more full featured but still comes short wrt Lightroom Classic in many ways. This workflow works if your needs are modest. If you shoot a lot, I would recommend taking a small laptop running Classic instead of an iPad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines