• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Printique online and LR for best results?

Participant ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to try the online photo printer Printique. You can access your LR folders directly, whihc is a great convenience. But after selecting a test image it said that it coul donly print to good results, not best results. I am wondering why? the images are full sized .arw images in LR, but are the ones stored in the cloud different and how do I control the image resolution on LR Online?

Hope this makes sense.

Henry

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"But after selecting a test image it said that it coul donly print to good results, not best results. I am wondering why?"

Maybe you should ask Printique. Or maybe you should tell us more about what you are doing, like what size (in inches) are you printing and what other requirements do you have.

"...but are the ones stored in the cloud different and how do I control the image resolution on LR Online?"

If you are using Lightroom Classic (are you?) then full sized images are never stored in the cloud. You cannot control this, it is fixed. Smart previews are used in Lightroom mobile when you send them from Lightroom Classic.

If you are using Lightroom, then you should have full resolution images in the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I am using LR Classic

Printique needs the following to print to the highest quality:

"To achieve excellent quality you need to export as a JPEG or TIFF and export at your desired printing resolution with 300 DPI."

How do I control the image setting that are being sync'ed? to achieve these requirements?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They probably mean 300 PPI.

You have not answered my question: "what size (in inches) are you printing and what other requirements do you have?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be printing up to 8x10 at the moment, sorry I did not add that infomration earlier.

No other requirements that I am aware of.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the long edge of a Smart Preview in the cloud is 2540 pixels (if I remember properly), which does not provide 300 pixels per inch when printed 8x10. That's most likely the problem Printique was discussing. (But you could still ask them to be sure it wasn't some other issue)

You could export a full sized original from Lightroom Classic (which I assume will have more pixels on the long edge) to your hard disk, and upload that to Printique.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you perhaps have a copy of ON1 Photo RAW? included in that is ON1 Resize. I like using resize to create a photo with exactly the desired output dimensions. This way no upscaling occurs at the print provider. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As already mentioned this is due to Classic only syncing smart previews which means the cloud service can only create jpeg images from it at the smart preview resolution. The solution is to create the jpegs yourself in Classic and upload them directly to the print service or you must upload full raw images to the cloud, which can only be done using Lightroom Desktop which is a totally different program than Classic. It is basically a port of the mobile version of Lightroom to the desktop. It is possible to do your initial sync from CLassic and then open Lightroom Desktop (do not let it migrate your catalog!) and drag the raw files on it and it should place the raw files in the cloud and associate it with the already uploaded smart previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, that might be a good option. I was trying to save the export/import process since Printique can tap into LR Online. Thank you for the feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines