• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using the camera profile

Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I import the photos from my camera, Lightroom Classics uses the camere profile I have used when I took the photos (lets say the profile High Contrast BW from my Ricoh GR III) and I can see the photo with that profile. I am shooting mostly RAW. As soon as I go into the developping module, this profile is replaced by another one from inside Lightroom. Is there any way to keep the same profile even inside the development module and work with that? Or do I have to shoot JPG and RAW to be able to keep "the original" picture?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are camera matching profiles for the "major" brands, these match the camera pretty well. Don't know about Ricoh. But note that these profiles are reverse-engineered just for visual appearance. Adobe has no access to the actual code or algorithms used - and even if they did, it wouldn't do any good. It's a different processing engine.

But we need to get one thing out of the way:

"to be able to keep "the original" picture"

There is no such thing as an "original picture". The raw file is not an image, it has to be processed first, and a range of parameters need to be set. The camera does this using pre-set and fixed parameters. That doesn't mean it's "correct" - it only means that's how the manufacturer thinks the image should look. There is no correct way to render an image. It's always an interpretation, a series of choices.

The whole point of shooting raw is that you decide, not the camera. That's what the sliders in Lightroom are for.

The raw file is just a data dump from the sensor. If you could see it directly, it would be a very dark, very flat and tonally compressed monochrome image. That's your original image. You'd hardly recognize it as an image and you wouldn't like it. To produce a useful image, a range of decisions have to be made. We shoot raw because we want to make those decisions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer.

The thing is, when I use one of my Fuji and I use a profile that is already
in my camera during the shooting, and I am shooting RAW, the profile is
still there when I change from the library module to the development
module. And then I can use and refine it, or I can change back to a color
photo or use something totally else. With my Rico GR III the "in camera
profile" is only active in the library module. When I change to the
development module, it's gone. And that is sometimes a shame.

--
Thomas Wyser
Spitzwaldstrasse 209/4
4123 Allschwil

078 646 02 98

foto-wyser
Flickr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well written.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well written, D. Fosse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you import photos, you initially see the preview that the camera generated. That preview includes the effect of the in-camera profile. Lightroom does not have that profile, but for some cameras Adobe created their own profile that is supposed to match it as well as possible. So apparently Adobe did create such a profile for your Fuji camera, but did not for your Ricoh camera.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines