Highlighted

Version 5.7 no longer allowing photo import

New Here ,
Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photo import no longer works for my old Lightroom 5.7 version. I've paid for the software, and don't want to have to upgrade to the subscription model. How can I get this fixed?

Topics

Bug, Crash or freeze, Import and export, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Version 5.7 no longer allowing photo import

New Here ,
Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photo import no longer works for my old Lightroom 5.7 version. I've paid for the software, and don't want to have to upgrade to the subscription model. How can I get this fixed?

Topics

Bug, Crash or freeze, Import and export, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
LEGEND ,
Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Describe what happens, in detail. If there is an error message, please quote the exact complete unedited word-for-word error message.

Also, please state the version NUMBER of your operating system (we need the version NUMBER and not words like "up-to-date" or "current")

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no error message, the screen simply gets stuck on Importing files... and does nothing. It never completes, never shows progress.

It's LR version 5.7.1 and I'm on MacOS 10.15 (Catalina).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a Catalina security setting that needs to be modified; you'll have to search the forums here to find out what it is.

Also, maybe you don't want to upgrade, but you will never be able to install LR 5 again on Catalina or later operating systems.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going to need a Whole Lot more info on what you are seeing when you try to import images into LR 5.7.1.

I still have LR 5.7.1 indstalled on my main desktop system and have no problems importing images.

The only problem I have importing is "IF" I'm trying to import images from a Camera that is NOT supported by that older version of LR. I then get this import screen.

2020-03-03 14_55_43-Lightroom.png

The only images that do get imported are from older cameras that are supported or JPGs and or TIF images. For all others I get this error screen.

2020-03-03 14_58_44-Lightroom.png

So what your you seeing?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I did have that issue you're reporting before, where it wouldn't import from a connected camera or drive. My workaround for a while was using Image Capture to get the images imported from camera or card to my desktop and then import from desktop to LR from there. That unfortunately is no longer working, either.

This is literally all I see:

Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 1.10.56 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you have shown in the screen shot above is a Blank Catalog, IMHO, and you are showing the Library module not the import dialog window. It says 0 Photos.

Also youy don't have the side panels open or you aren't showing them.

Where are the images you are trying to import? Card in a Card reader, card still in the camera, images on the hard drive of your computer?

As stated by dj_paige there is a setting in the newest OS X that has to be changed. IIRC it is in the Security and Privacy section of the OS X system preferences. There are some other posts about this so you might have to search for them or Google "Change security and privacy settings in OS X Catalina".

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It says 0 photos because I tried creating a brand new catalog to see if it helps. It doesn't.

It shows the Library module once the import supposedly begins. Here it is with the side panels open, as you can see there's zero progress at top for "Copy and import photos" (and same effect if just Adding, Moving, etc.):

Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 2.00.57 PM.png

I'm importing JPGs from a file folder on my desktop.

Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 2.03.40 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll look for the system prefs update, but as far as I can tell I don't have firewall enabled or anything that's obvious in those system settings that should be blocking this. Thanks for the tip.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Not quite applicable though, I'm importing from a file folder on my desktop, where the files have already been downloaded from their original source, not from the Photos app.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you selecting "Add" at the top of the import dialog? It may default to Move when importing from a folder on your drive.

2020-02-04 14_29_28-Lightroom.png

If it is set to Move then it will try to Copy those files to whatever folder is selected in the Destination section of the right hand panel and OS X 10.15 is so restrictive the OS will stop LR from writing to the drive.

In any event you should set that option in the security section to allow LR to access, write to, your drives.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines