Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Very Slow Spot Removal Tool in LR5?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2013 Jun 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Has anyone else noticed the SPot Removal tool being very slow in LR5?  I don't even mean when painting a selection.  Just moving the mouse around the screen is sluggish and jittery for my on my Win7 system.

Thanks for any suggestions,

~Steve

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are some suggestions from Adobe on Lightroom 4 performance that may help with LR 5

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I've pretty much gone throught the list and nothing jumps out as a possible fix. I'm using a 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7 iMac with 8 GB of ram. I used seperate catalogs for each shoot and merge them into my main catalog after editing, so my catalogs are small (the current one is only 241 photos). I use 20 GB of camera raw cache and always generate 1:1 previews before editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2013 Jun 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another data point I suppose.

I've got a modest dual-core Windows 7 machine, 8gb memory, nvidia 8800GT card. (Steve! you could simulate nuclear explosions with the the kit you have )

I've found that spot removal is slow, laggy as described in this thread ... when I use my wacom Pen & Touch tablet.

When I use my mouse (a microsoft sidewinder x5), I have no problems! I can even leave the tablet attached.

I've tried it with all adjustments disabled, enabled with and without lens correction. The behaviour is consistent with all other observations: that doing the adjustments early and before lens settings is fastest. However, I find it usable even in the worst use-case -- just not using the tablet. Mouse is ok.

I also notice that when I quit lightroom, my tablet freezes for about 15 seconds then re-activates.

I wonder if the slow spot removal is actually mouse-driver related

... just supposin'

hans

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2013 Jul 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Hans!! I was ready to pull my hair out with the abysmal performance of the new healing brush when I ran across your idea to try my mouse. You are spot on (at least in my case). Using my Wacom tablet the performance is totally unusable, but using my Kensington trackball to paint with the healing brush the performance is quite acceptable. Very strange! I wonder if the pressure or angle inputs from the tablet are causing LR5 to go wonky...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2013 Jul 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm glad that it helped.

There was another post which suggested altering the 'tip feel' and 'tilt sensitivty' to soft and low (my wacom does not have the tilt sensitivity setting - the poster was using an intuos 5).

When I set the tip feel to soft (and the eraser as well ... why not? ) I found that the performance of the tablet improved. To the extent that for simple adjustments, I could use the tablet. Complex ones still lag.

hans

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2013 Aug 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad moving to the kensington worked for you but I have one and it has the "jerky" cursor problem.  What settings are you using?  Also I've tried lens correction profiles on and off with no change. I think I have an actual mouse around somewhere. If I find it I will try it and let you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2013 Sep 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.   My Wacom Intuos5 does not work well with LR5.  If I begin to highlight  using the spot healing tool the whole program freezes for minutes at a time.  If I use my Logitech mouse it works fine.  I have tried turing Windows Ink off and on, turning the "tablet services" off and on and varying the tip effects all to no avail.   I downloaded the new Wacom Intuos driver dated 09/03/2013 last night and installed it.   If anything it made it worse.  Wacom support has been next to useless.  Wacom has a forum for Euopean users but not for North Amercian users.   On the EU forum people are having the same problems.  Botton line arrogant Adobe has released a very buggy LR5 and Wacom has not faced up to the problems with it tablets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2013 Jul 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

A work around I use is this

pan the cursor while in spot removal to your undesirable area then release space

It sounds like hard work, but subsides the infuriation of the dead cursor in spot removal mode.

Aaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2013 Sep 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Lr5 becomes too slow due to too many spots I export my image as tiff and re-import it again into Lr so I can continu working with it. It's not more then a workaround but it saves me a lot of time and frustration...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 08, 2013 Sep 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you export from Lightroom, the Export dialog allows you to check "Add to Catalog" so you can avoid the step of re-importing.

After backing up my original RAW files from my camera, I convert to DNG creating a second copy.  If you export from Lightroom to TIFF, the file is about 8-10 times larger than if you export to DNG.

My Wacom Intous seems to work better when connceted directly to the computer.  I do not use the wireless any more.  When the Spot Healing slows, I use my computer mouse, then I try restarting Lightroom.  I usually end up going to Photoshop in frustration. 

Sometimes the Wacom loses control and makes continuous clicks causing all kinds of trouble.  I disconnect it from the computer, Stop the driver, and re-start the driver.

I am very disappointed with the performace of my Wacom Tablet.  There have been multiple problems since I purchased it.  I never had a problem with my Wacom 2.  I am also very unhappy with the Wacom support team.  They either do not know what to do, or they are trying to hide the fact that there are serious problems with the tablet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2013 Sep 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting the same problem with the healing brush, and the adjustment brush. It starts to slow down as soon as I select a spot, then there is a 1 to 2 second lag with every motion even brush re-sizing. Turning off profile corrections makes it better, but it's still a little slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 15, 2013 Sep 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way of speeding the brushes up is by disabling temporarly the detail and lens correction tabs.
Unfortunately they are expensive in terms of calculations.

That doesn't mean that Lightroom couldn't be faster....it could be WAY faster.

Remember that Lightroom and Photoshop are very different, there is no point in comparing them.

Lightroom is non-destructive wheres Photoshop works on pre-transformed pixels (you can see that it slows down quite a bit when you start using smart filters).

Hope Adobe will fix the performance issues in Lightroom when the 5.2 comes out...

G.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The team recently found and fixed a slowdown problem related to tracking the spot tool's cursor (mouse position) when lens corrections are enabled.  This fix will be in the final Lr 5.2 release, which will be available very soon.  Hope this will resolve some of the problems you are experiencing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is refreshing news Eric.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update, this is definitely a good news.

G.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 18, 2013 Sep 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The cursor is less jerky in LR 5.2 but the problem is still not fully solved.

With Lens Profile Corrections enabled, the spot tool will only work on a spot at a time. If I try to draw a correction, a curve, for instance, the spot tool draws a straight line between the point at the start of the curve and the point at the end of the curve.

The only way to avoid the problem is, as before, to disable profile corrections

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 10, 2013 Oct 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this thread whilst looking for a LR3.6 issue (yup I'm back level). I found that profile corrections disabled makes a difference to my problem too. What I also noticed was that using my old Wacom Graphire tablet the spot tool was utterly useless but using my mouse it was just fine. I use spot tool a lot and wondered why it "suddenly" went slow - it was because I had picked up the pen (for other reasons) when I don't usually use it for spot healing in LR.

So other than turning off profile corrections for spot healing it may be worth considering using your mouse rather than your tablet. It is what I'll be doing from now on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2014 Dec 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Penderra, THANK YOU for this post.  I was going nuts.

My main issues were:

1) The diameter/size of the Radial filter was uncontrollable.

2) When trying to paint with the brush -- it just blotch painted huge areas.

I un-checked profile corrections --- and wham-o the problem was fixed.

ADOBE -- this issue is still a huge problem in Lightroom 5.7.1 - released DEC 13, 2014.  You guys should get this solved already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2015 May 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing same problems in Lightroom CC (2015).

I'm going to look for a new LR CC thread but posting here for now.

Using iMac 5K

4Ghz i7

16GB Ram

AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2048 MB

Wacom Intuos 3. Performance with tablet slower than mouse but still lots of lag with the mouse. Again, slower when 1:1 but also plenty of lag when FIT.

Anyone having similar experience with LR CC - thoughts much appreciated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2015 May 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2013 - 2015 - 2 years and Adobe don't fix this problem yet. Very Sad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2015 Jun 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just what I was thinking.  Adobe is getting more and more like Google...

These are basic functionality problems.  FIX THEM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2015 Aug 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, very very frustrationg. I am wasting my time trying to spot heal or clone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2015 Nov 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe - this problem still exists and now with other tools such as the radial and gradient as well.  New coding needs to address this as you are making your own program unfit for professional use.  It is destroying workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines