Highlighted

Videos import with incorrect capture date and remain wrong folder even after editing capture time?

New Here ,
Jan 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some videos that seem to import into LR Classic 9.1 with a date 1/1/1904. I'm not sure whether that is an issue with LR of the video. Nevertheless, I edit the capture time to the actual date/time that the video was taken and then the video appears chronologically in the correct order in All Photographs view. However, the video file still remains in a folder 1904>01>01. What can I do to get LR to put the video file in the correct folder? 

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by johnrellis | Most Valuable Participant

"Can I make one in the LR catalog hierarchy"

Yes. In the Folders panel, right-click the parent folder and do Create Folder Inside.

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Videos import with incorrect capture date and remain wrong folder even after editing capture time?

New Here ,
Jan 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some videos that seem to import into LR Classic 9.1 with a date 1/1/1904. I'm not sure whether that is an issue with LR of the video. Nevertheless, I edit the capture time to the actual date/time that the video was taken and then the video appears chronologically in the correct order in All Photographs view. However, the video file still remains in a folder 1904>01>01. What can I do to get LR to put the video file in the correct folder? 

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by johnrellis | Most Valuable Participant

"Can I make one in the LR catalog hierarchy"

Yes. In the Folders panel, right-click the parent folder and do Create Folder Inside.

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 01, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jan 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The date 1/1/1904 is special, suggesting that the capture-date field stored in the video is all zero-bytes. If you upload a sample video to Dropbox or similar and post the sharing link here, we can quickly determine if that's the issue, what might be causing it, and how best to handle it in LR.

[Use the reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 01, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, thanks. When I try to upload to Dropbox it says the mp4 file type can only be shared with view access, though I'm not sure why. I don't use Dropbox very often. I assume you are indicating you'd need to download and view it in order to further explore the issue?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 02, 2020 0
Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I assume you are indicating you'd need to download and view it in order to further explore the issue?"

That's right. I have no idea what might be causing the Dropbox behavior. If the video is short (e.g. less than 50 MB), you might try attaching it here: After posting the reply, click More > Edit Reply at the bottom of the reply. Then click the little paperclip icon in the lower-left corner of the reply box. Then click Apply Edits. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 02, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, thanks. Attached is one of the videos that is having this same problem along with a screenshot of the exif data from LR Classic. Same problem with all three videos even though they were created by different people/sources... "Date Time Digitized" is set to 1/1/1904 whereas all other info is correct about capture time, etc. The videos appear in the proper date order when viewing "all photos" but are in the wrong folder in LR folder structure, ie; 1/1/1904 vs correct date corresponding to Date Time Original, which seems to what changes when I modify the Capture Date using LR.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2020 0
Jan 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I suspected, your sample video has all zeroes stored in its Create Date field:

$ exiftool -b -QuickTime:CreateDate Neighbor\ beagle\ front\ yard\ 3-11-2019.mp4 
0000:00:00 00:00:00

That translates to 1/1/1904. Presumably the Ring camera is storing that value when it creates the .mp4.

It would be a little better if LR treated a Create Date of all zeroes the same as if it were missing, in which case LR uses the file's date-modified field (which is typically when the file was last written by the camera, which is usually the capture date/time).

If you are processing a lot of these videos, you could use the free ExifTool utility to set the QuickTime Create Date to the file's date-modified before you import the video into LR. But if you only have the occasional such video, it's probably easier just to use LR's Edit Capture Time command after import.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 05, 2020 0