• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Viewer for edited DNG-files

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2017 Nov 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To simplify my photo archive I would like to save all my pictures in DNG format. Is there a free viewer, that allows friends and family members, to view such files with all my LR edits and in full reolution? I have not found such a tool yet. Some programs including Windows 10 are able to show the embedded JPG file, but such picture has a significantly reduced resolution. Other tools (e.g. Faststone Viewer) do only show the original raw. Based on these experiences I assume, that for correct viewing the appropriate Adobe processing software (e.g. LR) has to be installed on the computer to display the photos with all edits correctly.

Is this really true? That would mean, that pictures in a DNG archive can only be displayed including their edits, if a software with the appropriate Adobe development process is installed on the same maschine. Viewing my DNG files by other people would not be free for them but would require that they purchase an Adobe product?

Regards

Jo

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To simplify my photo archive I would like to save all my pictures in DNG format.

What is the original format of your files?

Are they raw files or jpgs?

Is there a free viewer, that allows friends and family members, to view such files with all my LR edits and in full reolution?

The DNG format is not suitable for what you want to do.

Export the files you want to share as jpgs, which will include the edits, and the files will be viewable in practcally any image viewer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You want to send your friends and family DNGs? I think that's a mistake.

Sending them JPGs makes it a lot easier for them, and the quality shouldn't be that noticeably different for most photos.

That would mean, that pictures in a DNG archive can only be displayed including their edits, if a software with the appropriate Adobe development process is installed on the same maschine.

If you are referring to edits created by an Adobe software program, then yes, your recipients would need an Adobe software program that can read and display the edits on their computer. So again, JPG gets the job done much more easily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines