Highlighted

Viewing Cloud synced version of photo in Classic

New Here ,
Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, After a long period of neglect, and confusion about how to use Lightroom CC and Classic together (not to mention Apple Photos...), I am making a concerted effort to consolidate my library across both Adobe platforms. A lot of the challenges has been intelligently removing duplicates.

I am now left finally with a reasonably desuplicated collection. However one issue persists - in some cases on Classic the only version of a photo points to an old external hard drive location and the 'missing' photo doesn't get recalled by the Cloud version, even though in the same album on mobile or desktop CC, the full res version is there. I intentionally don't want to use an external HD anymore and am happy downloading from the Cloud as and when. In many thousands of cases these missing references appear harmless but in the minority there appears to be nothing I can do to view or edit the photo in Classic. My fear is that if I remove the photo in Classic it will remove the high res copy from the cloud. Is there anyway around this? Perhaps duplicate and sync? But that seems awfully manual.

More generally, is there anyway of removing all missing folder references in Classic given that photos are synced and stored in the Cloud?

Thank you!

Andy

TOPICS
How to, Problem or error, Sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Viewing Cloud synced version of photo in Classic

New Here ,
Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, After a long period of neglect, and confusion about how to use Lightroom CC and Classic together (not to mention Apple Photos...), I am making a concerted effort to consolidate my library across both Adobe platforms. A lot of the challenges has been intelligently removing duplicates.

I am now left finally with a reasonably desuplicated collection. However one issue persists - in some cases on Classic the only version of a photo points to an old external hard drive location and the 'missing' photo doesn't get recalled by the Cloud version, even though in the same album on mobile or desktop CC, the full res version is there. I intentionally don't want to use an external HD anymore and am happy downloading from the Cloud as and when. In many thousands of cases these missing references appear harmless but in the minority there appears to be nothing I can do to view or edit the photo in Classic. My fear is that if I remove the photo in Classic it will remove the high res copy from the cloud. Is there anyway around this? Perhaps duplicate and sync? But that seems awfully manual.

More generally, is there anyway of removing all missing folder references in Classic given that photos are synced and stored in the Cloud?

Thank you!

Andy

TOPICS
How to, Problem or error, Sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 20, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting a photo from Lightroom Classic will delete it from the cloud. Why don't you generate a smart preview of these photos: reconnect that old external drive, select the photo(s) and generate a smart preview. Now you can edit these photos in Lightroom Classic even when that external drive is disconnected.

-- Johan W. Elzenga, http://www.johanfoto.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 20, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Johan. The problem is I don't have that drive anymore so I can't reconnect it. I didn't think it was required since the photo was backed up to the Cloud. It was only when I realised that for whatever reason Adobe hadn't created the desktop version of Lightroom with the functionality of Classic that I realised I would still need classic. There must be a way around this, it clearly recognises the photo as when I create an album, the pixelated version appears in Classic and the full res version in other platforms.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 20, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you can do is the following. In Lightroom desktop, select the photo and choose Export as Original. That saves the photo in a folder on your hard drive. Choose any folder for this, or create one especially for this. Now start Lightroom Classic, and click on the 'missing photo' exclamation mark. You will get a dialog saying the photo is missing, and asking you if you can locate it. If you click that button, you will get a standard 'Open' dialog. Navigate to the photo you just saved from Lightroom desktop and select it. That will 'reconnect' the photo in the Lightroom Classic catalog to this photo, making an original available in Lightroom Classic again.

-- Johan W. Elzenga, http://www.johanfoto.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 20, 2020 0