• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Viewing filenames in the Folders Panel of Library

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2020 Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm either losing my mind, or somthing happened yesterday that I've never seen before.  When I am in "Library," in the "Folders" panel on the left, I now only see the folders and subfolders listed.  I could have sworn that for years, if I clicked the down arrow on folder, it would show all the file names within.  Now it doesn't.  I've hunted and searched and I cannot find an option that allows me to view the files.  It gives the file count, so it understands they're there, but it won't display the names.  My brother says his has always worked this way.  I could have sworn mine never worked this way until yesterday.  Does anyone know how to get the file names to show in the Folders panel?

TIA

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I could have sworn that for years, if I clicked the down arrow on folder, it would show all the file names within."

Folders panel shows folders. It does not show file names.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could have sworn that it showed filenames, too.  I did the LR preferences reset, as Axel_Matt suggested, and I got the default "tips" windows.  This screen capture of one "tip" suggests that I might be right.  I wonder if you are in the same situation as my brother -- it's never shown files to you, so you haven't thougth it ever might?Organize with Folders.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will stick with my previous statement. Folder panel shows folders. It does not show files.

The quote you show about moving images means that if you drag images into the folder panel, the images will be moved to the folder you dragged them into.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might be right.  I can't prove that it can show filenames, as it isn't doing it now.  I just could have sworn that the filenames used to be listed for my for years.  I could right click on the names there in the folders panel and rename the files there.  It was so convenient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try to reset the Lightroom preferences: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

Then ckeck if anything is different.

For a better understanding what you exactly mean please post a Screenshot that shows your issue.

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did the reset, and it didn't fix my problem.  
LR screen capture.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The triangle icon is only solid if there are other folders under that folder. Otherwise it is greyed dots.

As said by me and all the others. The Folders section of the left hand side panel in the Library module Never Ever showed File names.

And actuall no Folders list sections, even in the Import dialog window in the Source section or the Destination section never showed File Names.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Folders panel Never showed File Names. Not in Version 1 of LR or any subsequent version.

If you want to see the actual file names of your images you have to turn on the View option to show that in the Grid view or hover over the image in the Filmstrip and you will see the File Name just above the Filmstrip area.

2020-03-29 09_44_40-LR Classic V9 Catalog - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the last 12 years, versions 2 to 9, my Library/Folder panel has never shown individual files. Files and their names are shown in the center image area or in the film-strip.

Maybe you are confusing LR Classic and LR (cloud based)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I never use LR Cloud.  But I guess I must be crazy and misremember.

LR has several ways to see/do things.  It's not that I can't find the other ways.  Oh, well.  I appreciate you guys' responding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines