• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Web Photo Galleries On Lightroom Web Changed?

LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The below video from 2017 on creating Web Galleries in the Web app at lightroom.adobe.com doesn't look the same today. I'm using FireFox and Safari is used in the video, bit that shouldn't make any difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtCPi7d3Feo&list=PLmXfFxjdp3CFsKyMxoV9HtzQ8gtocq4i1

I can't do the layout editing shown in the browser or how to create more than one gallery. Here's a screenshot of what I'm seeing. The little globe and square icons at the left of the screen shown in the video are missing. What's up.....any ideas? 

Web App.jpg

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd, 

If you read the comments associated with the video you'll see that others are as confused as you. Not really surprising since Adobe are continually changing Lrweb and telling nobody that they've done so. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian, I did notice the comments at YouTube with similar complaints. So the question remains did Adobe not only change the GUI, but also dropped the ability to add text and breaks to create image groups in a gallery? No matter where I look at lightroom.adobe.com those features are no longer present. Also, I can find almost no Adobe documentation on using the Web app for any version of Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gallery was an interesting idea, but became a bit of a backwater  - credit to you for remembering its existence.

At some point the text and breaks were added to collections when you switch to Display mode, but they aren't carried over into the gallery.  Page backgrounds and layouts are, so it might be worth looking into this area.

Sadly LrWeb contains a few half-developed proofs of concept, which are just-about usable. But documenting it must be compromised by the little changes that Adobe occasionally introduce.

If your video's aim was to help people share photos from LR, you might be better off pointing them towards Portfolio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At some point the text and breaks were added to collections when you switch to Display mode, but they aren't carried over into the gallery.  Page backgrounds and layouts are, so it might be worth looking into this area.

By @john beardsworth

OK, there is a trick. When you add a collection to the gallery, that collection's Display view (background, grid, breaks and text) are carried over at that point in time. So if you want to add new breaks and text, first remove the collection from the gallery. Make those changes in the collection's Display mode, then add the collection to the gallery again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

The only way that I found to add text was using the 'Caption' section of the image Info box as shown in below screenshot.

BTW, I recall some discussion around the info button, but the context wasn't, at least to my recollection, associated with albums. Note that I'm not questioning or doubting your sugegstion, just making the observation that none of this is obvious, especially if using Adobe's own video tutorials as a guide.

Untitled-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's back in the grid view, Ian. Once you are in the collection's Display mode (artist's palette icon) you can click between thumbnails to insert a break, and it then lets you add more text.

I may be wrong, but these album subheadings only seem to carry over to a gallery at the point that the album is added to it. So one would need to do a silly delete - change - add again process if one doesn't get it right first time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John very helpful! Just to clarify section dividers can be added in Display mode and a heading or subheading added to that section. However, you can't enter text to be displayed on the images as shown in Julieanne Kost's video above. Also, there doesn't appear to be a way to save a gallery and create a new one. Once you create a new gallery the previous gallery is no longer accessable for editing or with the share link. Just trying to make some sense out this nonsense!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The only way that I found to add text was using the 'Caption' section of the image Info box as shown in below screenshot."

Thanks Ian, we cross-posted so just seeing your reply now. It's  shame Adobe can't (won't?) "fix" these issues to make it more useful. I'm not holding my breath for that to happen!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also, there doesn't appear to be a way to save a gallery and create a new one. Once you create a new gallery the previous gallery is no longer accessable for editing or with the share link. Just trying to make some sense out this nonsense!

By @Todd Shaner

As far as I know, you can only create one gallery and just have to keep editing it.

My guess is that Adobe have forgotten about this gallery feature, and I am not encouraging anyone to use it. I do though share individual albums with subheadings, and quite like Portfolio and also Spark pages which allow you to enter much more text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines