• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Weird behavior with images in Collection Sets?

Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this is supposed to happen or if this is a common quesiton but I've only just comes across it and it seems a bit weird to me.

I always organise my photos into collections based on the location and date. If I've gone to a location more than once I then create a Collection Set and have separate collections inside it for each time I went there.

So I'm just revisting some old photos trying out some new editing techniques I've learned and as I don't want to lose my original edits, I make a virtual copy of each photo to experiment with first. However I've noticed that if I'm viewing the entire Collection Set i.e. I've got the collection set selected in the Develop module and then make a virtual copy of a photo, the copy isn't actually made. The same applies if I try to create a panorma, it says that it's creating it but then nothing appears when it's finished. To actually make a virtual copy, I have to first select the Collection it's in and then it will actually create the virtual copy. The thing that makes it feel like it's more a bug is that lets say I had the Collection Set selected first and I tried to make a virtual copy but nothing appeared. If I then went into the collection and did it again, it names the copy, virtual copy 2. So it knows I did make a copy the first time but it's nowhere to be seen. I've tried searching everywhere and can't find the 1st copy.

Also if I'm in a Collection Set and I reset the develop settings, the thumbnail resets back as well IF I'm viewing that photo in the develop module. If I right click on a thumbnail of a photo I'm not viewing, I can reset the develop settings and the settings are reset, but the thumbnail still shows the preview from the original settings. It's not until I select the photo and reset again that the thumbnail is updated.

Anyone else experience this? Surely this isn't how it's supposed to be is it?

This is using LRC 10.1.1 on a Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Collections are just lists, like a membership list or a music player playlist. They do not really contain images, but just list them. If you add a new file (real or virtual), that file is only added to the collection that is selected, and if you selected a collection set, then you did not select a specific collection. So the virtual copy or the panorama is added to Lightroom (you will see it in 'All Photographs'), but not to any collection. So yes, this is completely as expected.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further to Johan's explanation above, if you right click the photo in the collection, and choose "Go to Folder in Library," you'll find all your missing virtual copies and the missing panoramas in the Library folder next to the associated image(s).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you both for your replies. It does make sense what you are saying and reassuring that I'm not going mad.  Although I would suggest that if you were in a collection set and you created a virtual copy or made a panorama, why would you want it to be created anywhere other than next to original, whether that be in a collection set or elsewhere? It just seems odd that a collection set which contains a list of images, can't add an image to its list and instead just adds it into the mass of All Photos where its immediately lost with the thousands of other images. I guess I don't see the benefit of an inconsistent approach to the creation of copies based on what type of collection the photo is or isn't in.

It also doesn't explain why the thumbnails don't get updated in the film strip even though the settings are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines