Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Weird lines being added to photos

New Here ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

Right off the bat; I apologize for posting as this may not be directly associated with an issue coming from Lightroom Classic. 

I have been editing using Lightroom Classic for about 3 years now & I am just now having this odd issue. I will export my photo like usual, Airdrop the image to myself to preserve quality, go on to post on social media (Instagram in specific;) upon posting - odd lines will appear once I arrive to the "edit" portion of Instagram. 
I do not edit or retouch my images on lightroom. 
It is untraditional, but I export my images in the following format: 

Image Format:JPG

Color Space:sRGB

Quality:100

Limit File Size: No

Resize to fit: No

Resolution: 240PPI

It May seem a bit overkill, but any other formulas I have attempted will literally SLAUGHTER my image quality. I am currently using a Canon EOS R, this issue began when I was shooting with my Sony A7R II. 
Since the problem has began, I have purchased a new SD card, am now using a new camera, attempted other formulas for export, used other (older) versions of Lightroom Classic. 
These images will not show any lines during edit, or in my camera roll - ONLY when attempting to post to Instagram. 
My images will also maintain these lines if I send to a friend, or client to post. 
Any assistance would be much appreciated!!!

FA1B962B-419A-4595-BB50-A19C27E6B588.jpeg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit: 

I am editing on MacBook Pro. 
The verticle lines are visible in the image above to the far right, but at times - the lines may be horizontal. 
These lines are not visible AT ALL until the second step of posting on Instagram - after you pick a photo, and press "Next." 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi! I have recently discovered that instagram increases lux on photos, without disclosing it to users during the posting process. After you hit next, and are at the filter & edit page, click on the icon at the top of the page (looks like a magician wand with stars). Then, decrease the lux to zero. This will return your photo to version you thought you were posting all along. Hope this helps! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you man the vertical lines at the right of the photo you show?

Do you examine the image VISUALLY at each step of the process to see if the lines are present? By each step of the process, I mean: in Lightroom, outside of LR after export, after air-drop but before uploading to instagram?

Most likely there is some corruption in the file transfer process, but without more details, its hard to pinpoint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, those are the lines I am talking about. 

They are normally vertical at the far right of the image, or at the bottom of the image running horizontally. 
Ive attached another example. 
The photo is 100% clean throughout the editing process, after airdrop (in my phone's camera roll;) and even when I'm picking out an image to post on Instagram. 
The lines ONLY appear when I choose a photo to post, and press "Next" on Instagram. 
The lines are not an issue if I decide to check the "resize to fit" box on lightroom & make it maybe W:1080 H: 1080 - but then QUALITY becomes an issue. 

72B6214C-9F47-4143-81C9-017DC68F732E.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Instagram support PNG? And if so try that. Not familiar with Instagram. But many of Facebooks sins on altering photos when posted are eliminated when posting PNG files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just attempted to export as a PNG and post. 
Instagram does support PNG, but the annoying lines are still showing up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My gut reaction is Instagram is resampling and fouling up the data. Visit guidance at Instagram as to image size etc. Looking for what sizes get posted without resampling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've watched multiple videos & attempted using their exporting settings. 
All of them destroy the quality of image, but when I attempt to post - the lines do not appear. 
It is either: Post a horrible quality photo without lines

OR 

Post a GREAT quality photo with lines, or crop in to where the lines do not appear. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This still sounds to me like file corruption, and since you state the problem doesn't exist at the time you airdrop it onto your device, but does exist in Instagram, the problem is in the transfer of the photo. Thus, you need to try doing this via a different piece of hardware, which I guess means a different device. 

I find it difficult to believe that with the gazillions of photos uploaded to Instagram that don't have this problem, that this is really being caused by something at Instagram. Nevertheless, you probably ought to pursue this in some Instagram help forum; if other people are encountering this problem, maybe they have heard about it. But honestly, this seems like a hardware or transfer issue, and not a software issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! 
I have edited different photos, using different cameras, different SD cards & 2 separate computers (both MacBook Pro; if it matters -) and the problem is still persistent. 
I have attempted to export the photo to mobile device using: Airdrop, email & Dropbox. All 3 have the same issue, and the only solution seems to be resizing the image via Lightroom's "Resize Image" section which destroys the quality. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great, but it was not what I suggested. I want you to upload to Instagram from a different movile device. And I want you to ask about this in an Instagram forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I've done 1 of 2 steps. 
My phone obviously adds lines (IPhone 11 Pro Max) 

My boss' phone adds lines with the same photo (IPhone 11 Pro Max) 

My friend's phone DOES NOT add lines (IPhone 10) 

I'll reach out to an instagram forum. 

I tested my own theory - and used an app that is meant for scheduled posting on Instagram (You choose whichever photos are to your liking - and choose whenever you'd like them to be posted; it does the rest remotely.) When the 3rd party app posts the photos, the lines are GONE!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say export. Do you mean you select the edited photo, and select export, then modify the export dialog as desired, then click on export, creating a new Photo?

OR

Are you using a Publishing service, the one for Instagram,?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I think I completly do not understand the Airdrop step? Can you expand on that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you still having this issue? The same thing is happening to me, and I don't know how to fix it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines