• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What a hassle! Bring a .mov file into Lightroom?

Enthusiast ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Lightroom wouldn't bring in PSDs, I changed them all to .tif and that WORKED for stills.

Many .mov files won't come in.

I bring them into VLC, or Premiere Pro and export them as mp4 and sometimes that works. Sometimes.

(The movies play in quicktime (I'm on a mac)). They play in Premiere. They play in VLC and in Compressor.) but Lightroom won't import them.

So.

1. I purge caches and I quit lightroom.

2. I go into preferences and trash them all. I trash all the media link server stuff. (I still have to squash it repeatedly in the activity monitor. (What is it FOR except to make trouble?))

3. I set preferences to allow Camera Raw cache at 200 GB and put NO LIMIT on video cache.

I open Lighroom. Things are suddenly really FAST. Nice!

It tells me all the great features in the latest version of Lightroom. Okay, okay.

Then I ask it to import the movie. NO PROBLEM. Like lightning!

Trouble is I have to do all this repeatedly. Daily.

I don't use lightroom for editing. I have photoshop for that. I edit my movies in Premiere Pro and After Effects. I use lightroom as a CATALOG. To organize and find my stuff. But in order to catalog the videos, I need to import them.

I do realize that Catalina has thrown a monkey wrench into EVERY app I use.

I have had to take all the non-Apple apps and grant them full disc access, which helps a bit.

But is there any way to automate the process I just outlined or should I just do it every morning?

Any clever suggestions welcomed.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?