• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What happened to "metadata has changed"?

Explorer ,
May 10, 2020 May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am (finally) converting from CS6 and Lightroom V6 and have found an issue with 9.2.1.  In V6 if I edited a file in Photoshop, while using it in LR I would get a "metadata has changed" message and I would choose the LR metadata.  This no longer happens in LR Classic 9.2.1.  I do see posts about this message as late as June 2019, so Classic didn't initially lose this feature.  I have a workaround, but maybe there is a setting to bring it back?

I use it frequently in this scenario.  I do a lot of editing in Photoshop.  I usually leave the image open in PS even though I continue to edit it in Lightroom.  If I see something that I want to do in Photoshop, I pop back to Photoshop do what I want, save.  Then I get the metadata has changed message and I choose the LR metadata and all is well.  This is not happening with LR Classic 9.2.1.  My LR metadata just disappears.  Edits are saved, although in history it pops back to the begnning, the history is there, so I can recover my LR edits.  But not my LR metadata.  It has been erased. 

I have found a workaround.  I can save the metadata and then copy it back, but why in their wisdom did they decide to take the edited metadata rather than the LR metadata? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe your upgrade defaulted to an effect of the following:

Catalog Settings > Metadata > Automatically Write Changes Into XMP does it automatically.
I am quoting below
"Over the years, a number of people have asked for the option to use .xmp sidecars for non-raws, but in my opinion it is very unlikely Adobe will ever implement it. They've stated publicly that going forward with LR Classic, they're focusing on develop tools and performance, so whatever efforts they were formerly putting into Library might be further reduced."
Therefore you may do better here for this:
Post to feedback.photoshop.com for:
  • Feature requests or wish to add your voice/vote to existing feature requests.
  • Demonstrable bug (repeatable with step-by-step instructions and screenshots).
  • Crash or error troubleshooting.

It seems frustrating for you though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One has to understand the functions of Lightroom, it has been designed with two core processes that differ from how PS and ACR function.

1. Lightroom by design never applies edits to the Original image file that has been imported. The way to apply the edits is to use the export function that applies the edits to the original file, renders and create a new file which is saved to a location of your choice.

2. When you are working in Lightroom the application is reading and writing to the Catalog file.

There is a function in the Lightroom preferences to "automatically write changes into xmp" this feature allows info about Lightroom editing to be shared to Photoshop / ACR plugin and other Adobe applications. This is a secondary function in Lightroom, the writing to the Catalog takes priority.

Photoshop / ACR, Bridge, on the other hand, reads and writes from/to the file, they cannot read or communicate with the Lightroom Catalog file.

So if you have Lightroom and Photoshop running at the same time I would not expect that you will instantly, see the effects of Lightroom, in Photoshop. In addition, things that you do in PS / ACR will not get automatically reflected in Lightroom.

Bridge provides similar functions to the Lightroom Library Module. So my concept is Lightroom is an alternate option to Bridge / ACR Plugin.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines