• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is the best way to set up Lightroom architecture for optimal computer performance?

Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got a new computer and need to transfer my Lr Classic files to the new machine and want to make sure I am doing it in a way that is as least intensive on my new computer. Right now, I have all files stored on my computer's HD which is sync'd with Dropbox (Dropbox Smart Sync). 

So my setup is:

• Lightroom Classic 8.3.1 Desktop app
  • Lightroom catalog, previews, and images stored on computer Hard Drive
  • Above files also backed up with Dropbox Smart Sync (cloud)
  • Secondary backup of catalog, previews, and images on external 2TB hard drive

So, with my new computer, what is the best architecture to ensure optimal performance?

• Should I have the Lr desktop app downloaded to computer?
  • Should I have the catalog, previews, and images stored on the computer's HD?
  • Do I need Dropbox as a backup?
  • Do I need the external Hard Drive as backup too? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, with my new computer, what is the best architecture to ensure optimal performance?

• Should I have the Lr desktop app downloaded to computer?

Do you mean Lightroom Classic? You can't run Lightroom Classic if it isn't downloaded and installed. Or do you mean Lightroom? Please explain.

Regarding your other questions ... you MUST have a backup of your catalog file and photos. It doesn't matter where the backup is stored, in the cloud or on the external HD, that's completely up to you. But ... you MUST have a backup somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean Lightroom Classic? You can't run Lightroom Classic if it isn't downloaded and installed. Or do you mean Lightroom? Please explain.

I mean Lr Classic desktop app. I do not use Lightroom cloud version primarily. If I want to leverage the external HD as the primary storage place (requiring me to plug in external HD every time I want to edit), and not my computer's HD would I need to keep anything on my computer other than the Lr Classic app?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The LrC software should go on your fastest disk (usually an internal disk). The LrC catalog file and previews should go on your fastest disk (usually an internal disk). The photos can go on your slowest disk (usually an external disk).

You can do it differently than above, but then you will find there may be performance degradation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about backups? Where should those be stored? The internal or external HD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And also, do I need the below files in addition to previews and catalog?

• lightroom.lrcat-wal
  • lightroom.lrcat.lock
  • lightroom Helper.lrdata

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Backups must be stored on a different disk than the originals. This is not optional, they MUST go on a different disk than the originals.

No, you don't need those files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And also, do I need the below files in addition to previews and catalog?

• lightroom.lrcat-wal
  • lightroom.lrcat.lock
  • lightroom Helper.lrdata

By @harrybarnettw

Check the links in the Lightroom Queen I posted earlier. There is also information on how and what to backup

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does Adobe (cc @kadobe?) make this so difficult to do? Is there an Adobe support rep that could help me through this process? I need to move my Lr from work to personal computer ASAP. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is difficult in the above thread?

We are not Adobe here in this forum, there is no one from Adobe in this forum to walk you through your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check my links above to Lightroom Queen. As @harrybarnettw stated, we are all users here.

Some additional links:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I have an update to my current flow. As of now, all Lr files including catalog, previews, backups etc.) live in a Dropbox sync folder. Perhaps this is incorrect, but it has allowed me to log into the Dropbox app on multiple computers and use Lr without issue. 

If my plan is to return and wipe my work computer, do I need to move any Lr files before doing so or can I simply logout of Dropbox app on my work computer, delete Lr App, and use my personal computer leveraging the same files stored in Dropbox cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"As of now, all Lr files including catalog, previews, backups etc.) live in a Dropbox sync folder"

I think this will cause you problems. The LrC Catalog is designed as single app DB on one computer. Firing up LrC from two computers, even only one at the same time, is likely going to result in issues.

There are known  issue with using Dropbox. Google it and see https://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/threads/anyone-using-dropbox-smart-sync-successfully-with-l...

Why not just follow the instructions from the Lightroom Queen I posted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines