• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is the current method for importing a folder of similar presets directly into a new group?

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought a bundle of presets, and they are grouped into folders by type. Apparently they can't be imported all at once, while automatically assuming the same folder structure that they are currently stored in on my drive. Can I at least import them one folder at a time, and direct them straight into a group that I created?

I have, for instance, one folder of 40 or so B&W presets. Is there a way to import everything in that folder directly into a group I create with the same name?

All that I have seen when looking for "sorting advice", is that you have to import them, create a new group, and then click on each preset one-by-one to move them into that group. That can't possibly be the intended method for importing hundreds of presets that are grouped by type.

Everything that is related to importing and organizing your pics is so clean by comparison, it doesn't even feel like the preset importing and grouping structure is even part of the same software as the rest of Lightroom. If what I'm looking to do is possible, it surely is not at all very straight-forward.

Any help would be extremely appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

"That can't possibly be the intended method for importing hundreds of presets that are grouped by type."

Unfortunately, that is the intended method. Adobe doesn't have the same quality of developers working on LR Classic that it used to ten years ago.

There are two options:

1. The group of a preset is stored inside it's .xmp file. If you're experienced with command-line scripting, you could automatically add the desired group name to each .xmp file.

2. Place the existing folder structure

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"That can't possibly be the intended method for importing hundreds of presets that are grouped by type."

Unfortunately, that is the intended method. Adobe doesn't have the same quality of developers working on LR Classic that it used to ten years ago.

There are two options:

1. The group of a preset is stored inside it's .xmp file. If you're experienced with command-line scripting, you could automatically add the desired group name to each .xmp file.

2. Place the existing folder structure into LR's preset folder (Preferences > Presets > Show Lightroom Develop Presets).  Restart LR, and all those presets will appear in the Presets panel, though not in groups reflecting the folder structure. Use the free Fix Presets plugin to change the groups of the presets to reflect the folder structure.  It's not the most convenient plugin to use (due to LR limitations), but it does get the job done.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much!  That plugin does exactly what I needed done!

I'm definitely still a bit disappointed that this wasn't built into the software.  At the very least, it seems like we should be able to select multiple presets to drag around.  

Thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines