• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is the difference between Lightroom and Lightroom Classic?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed Lightroom and wonder if Classic have the same options for editing photos? It seems to be easier to transfer photos from the camera in Classic with the "library" and I am thinking of installing Classic, should I have both. /Elisabeth

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

If you choose Lightroom Classic, it’s based on local storage, so you must store your originals on your computer or on storage attached to your computer; your only storage limit is how much drive space you can afford to buy and back up. You have the option to sync limited resolution versions (Smart Previews) of your originals to the Lightroom Photos server in the cloud, so that you can use and edit those images in the Lightroom app for mobile devices.

If you choose Lightroom, it’s based on clou

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom-classic/lightroom-cc-vs-lightroom-classic.html

Lightroom Classic has more tools to edit photos than Lightroom does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your quick reply. That means that I can choose to have Lightroom Classic only and uninstall Lightroom? /Elisabeth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to have both Lightroom and Lightroom Classic installed, and I like "classic" better myself. I will note that Lightroom (non-classic) is designed for cloud-based and mobile editing, with a more touch-centric UI (as opposed to mouse/keyboard style). So, it's partly a question of how you want to use the tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. Is it not possible to store my photos in the cloud
if I use Classic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not possible to use Lightroom Classic to store your original photos in the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another good article to compare Lr & LrC:

COMPARE LR & LR-CLASSIC (Lr Queen)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THe most important thing to decide as the Lightroom Queen put it:

"

For a simple life, pick one or the other. If you’re happy to play referee in the case of conflicts, you can sync Lightroom Classic with the cloud, but you’ll need to decide which one you consider your primary archive (folders or cloud) and which you’d be willing to wipe and start over in the event of an unfixable conflict."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally I prefer Classic and do keep my photo files on external drives...not in the cloud. And most important, I keep at lesast 2 copies of these external drives with all my photos, one that I work with regularly, One back up of the one I work with, and one that I back up and then take to another location (bank safe deposit) and alternate that one with the other back up.  SOunds redundant howeever if ever there is a drive failure I have one back iup on hand and one somewhere else!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The simplest answer is that Lightroom Classic is the full-featured desktop-based version, and Lightroom is a reduced feature cloud-based application.

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom-classic/lightroom-cc-vs-lightroom-classic.html

warmly/j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you choose Lightroom Classic, it’s based on local storage, so you must store your originals on your computer or on storage attached to your computer; your only storage limit is how much drive space you can afford to buy and back up. You have the option to sync limited resolution versions (Smart Previews) of your originals to the Lightroom Photos server in the cloud, so that you can use and edit those images in the Lightroom app for mobile devices.

If you choose Lightroom, it’s based on cloud storage, so you must store your originals using the Lightroom Photos server in the cloud. If you run out of space on your subscription plan, you can get more by paying a higher subscription fee. Lightroom doesn’t have as many features as Classic, and can’t print. But if it’s important for you to be able to see and edit any photo you have at any time on any device, you always have a great Internet connection, and you rarely print, Lightroom (cloud) might be a better choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines