Highlighted

What is the maximum amount of memory Lightroom Classic can access?

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been testing to see if I could replace Photoshop with Lightroom for processing images given the power of the latest Range Masking capabilities.  Even with 64GB of memory and SSD storage of my catalog and images, processing invariably slows down as I add filters until it takes more than 5 minutes to complete an operation or LR crashes.  The size of images, from 42MB DNGs to miniscule Smart Previews or JPEGs, doesn't seem to matter so much as the number of filters applied to an image.  I'm assuming Lightroom holds all edits in DRAM, unlike Photoshop which pages data in and out as needed.  So if I built a workstation with 1TB of memory, could I significantly increase the number of Lightroom filters that could be applied to a single image?

TOPICS
Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

What is the maximum amount of memory Lightroom Classic can access?

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been testing to see if I could replace Photoshop with Lightroom for processing images given the power of the latest Range Masking capabilities.  Even with 64GB of memory and SSD storage of my catalog and images, processing invariably slows down as I add filters until it takes more than 5 minutes to complete an operation or LR crashes.  The size of images, from 42MB DNGs to miniscule Smart Previews or JPEGs, doesn't seem to matter so much as the number of filters applied to an image.  I'm assuming Lightroom holds all edits in DRAM, unlike Photoshop which pages data in and out as needed.  So if I built a workstation with 1TB of memory, could I significantly increase the number of Lightroom filters that could be applied to a single image?

TOPICS
Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 20, 2020 0
dj_paige LATEST
LEGEND ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A common problem, the more local adjustments you do on an individual image, the slower Lightroom gets. This is made worse by 4K or larger monitors and large size original images (let's say above 30 megapixels).

ADDING MEMORY CANNOT FIX THIS PROBLEM. The problem is not memory, it is that computation time gets longer as you add more local adjustments, and so CPU speed or GPU speed is the key. 

You might want to try turning off the GPU acceleration. You might want to try a 1920x1080 monitor. You might want a faster CPU. You might want to do local adjustments in Photoshop.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 20, 2020 0