• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When exporting files they become locked - unable to delete

Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic / Macbook Catalina. When exporting files they sometimes become locked - cannot delete file using Lightroom you can delete from folder in finder by double clicking and moving to trash after confirming that file is locked and do you want to move to trash anyway.

When exporting file from the Library you get message that: Some operations could not be performed. Make Writeable (1)

Tried restarting Mac and Lightroom - also tried using folder on desktop as well portable drive. Results the same

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

I think"permissions" is somehow different than "locked". 

So I select a file then right-clickScreenshot 2020-11-21 at 9.27.59 PM.png

and select get info, see the popup screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

At GoldingD, I did a test earlier with a locked file and this will make the file unwritable in LrC, however, it's possible to export and the exported file is not a locked file. I believe there are two issues at play here one to do with "permissions" and the other to do with "the locked file".

I do not believe that LrC is creating a locked file. I just did test with the export selected as "original" then I get the error message that the original poster is getting.

Screenshot 2020-11-22 at 7.14.08 PM.png

See the screen capture below fo

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Cannot move to trash from LrC.

Seen before especially in MACOS, Some technical reason about  folders  in MACOS, not  with  LrC

You may find a similar error if you use Finder to delete. Will not move to trash.

Not  a  MACOS  Guru

Ahh, but it can also relate to lock status, Finder thinks file is  open  in  a  program. Note that LrC is not a file manager and it use Finder to handle that. Normaly, evan if the photo is selected in LrC you can delete it. Perhaps another program has that file opened???

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

At GoldingD, I have a couple of posts within the past hour or so that addresses the issues in the original post. However, there has been no interaction from the original poster for over six hours, not sure if you have seen my posts?

You have raised a couple of issues in your recent posts.

If a file is locked this is not a LrC issue this is OS issue but it places restrictions on what LrC can do with the file. The file cannot be deleted from disk from within LrC, you will get an error message.

Screenshot 2020-11-22 at 9.00.52 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Checked folder permission and user has read/write permissions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you to all who replied to this issue. At your direction I inspected various folders / subfolders / and individual photo files using the Finder / Get Info and checking for the "Locked" or "Unlocked" status and indeed many of my photo files have become locked somehow (none of the folders are locked). As I have been importing and exporting to this drive for some time without ever seeing this error I am of the mind this is new issue. I concur that it is not a LR issue but rather a Catalina issue or something to do with my portable hd drive. So I will close the case.

I not sure where in my workflow I have the option to lock files – and I am now researching how to unlock 4TB of files - 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think"permissions" is somehow different than "locked". 

So I select a file then right-clickScreenshot 2020-11-21 at 9.27.59 PM.png

and select get info, see the popup screen.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't help with the "locked" problem, but that ampersand in the file name has me worried.

Since we are dealing with Catalina, check the "security and privacy" OS app and make sure all the options are turned on for Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not LrC that is doing this.

LrC has no feature and or option to Lock any files on your computer whether while importing or export a file.

This is something on your computer that is doing it.

Get Info on the folder these lock files show up in and assign your user name Read & Write permissions.

I also do not care for the ampersand in the filename.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote "I also do not care for the ampersand in the filename."

Is that likely to cause problems?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote:

Is that likely to cause problems?

End Quote:

I'm not certain but it is best not to use such characters in file names.

Some of these type of character are resticted. Different depending on which OS you are using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks for the advice.

the point I was trying to make with the screen capture is if the file is locked it will not be writeable nor could it be deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the future, So people don't have to download the image you have attached, please use the Insert Photos icon found in the Tool Bar of the Post and Reply text entry dialog window as pictured below.
Since you Can't Edit your original post to remove the Attached screen shot Please include the screen shot you attached to a new reply to this conversation by clicking the Blue Reply button under your original post and use the Insert Photos icon in the tool bar.
The Insert Photos icon is this one in the Tool Bar.

2020-11-19 10_13_55-Pasting images into posts - Adobe Support Community - 11608749.png
Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>When exporting file from the Library you get message that: Some operations could not be performed. Make Writeable (1)

I have never seen Lightroom on mac os X just lock files by itself. Are you by chance exporting to a disk that is formatted in a non-apple or a case sensitive format?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happens to external drive so I created a folder on desktop and tried that - same thing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is the external drive formatted? If it is NTFS this is a typical problem. Certainly shouldn't happen when exporting to a folder on your desktop though so not sure what is going on there. I would probably boot the computer in recovery mode and have Disk Utility check out and repair your hard disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was that particular jpeg from camera locked in camera?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At GoldingD, I did a test earlier with a locked file and this will make the file unwritable in LrC, however, it's possible to export and the exported file is not a locked file. I believe there are two issues at play here one to do with "permissions" and the other to do with "the locked file".

I do not believe that LrC is creating a locked file. I just did test with the export selected as "original" then I get the error message that the original poster is getting.

Screenshot 2020-11-22 at 7.14.08 PM.png

See the screen capture below for some more info on a "locked" file and an "unlocked" file.

Screenshot 2020-11-22 at 12.10.45 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So in simple terms in LrC if the file is "locked" you can export jpeg, tiff etc ( this creates a new file ) you cannot export the original ( copy ) the locked file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some operations could not be performed. Make Writeable (1)

For that error. For that jpeg, Was the original photo, the one you imported, available? Not missing, Not working with just a smart preview?

Sometimes these errors about not being able to wright, are actually about not being able to read.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When exporting files they sometimes become locked

When this happens, did you export additional photos at the same time, into the same folder? And dod all the files get locked, or some?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Locked photo as shown in Finder

So, that image file, locked per Finder. Is LrC running at the time, and is that particular image selected in LrC at the time. In use by a program?

Or some other program?

If you close LrC, does the locked status change?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cannot move to trash from LrC.

Seen before especially in MACOS, Some technical reason about  folders  in MACOS, not  with  LrC

You may find a similar error if you use Finder to delete. Will not move to trash.

Not  a  MACOS  Guru

Ahh, but it can also relate to lock status, Finder thinks file is  open  in  a  program. Note that LrC is not a file manager and it use Finder to handle that. Normaly, evan if the photo is selected in LrC you can delete it. Perhaps another program has that file opened???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At GoldingD, I have a couple of posts within the past hour or so that addresses the issues in the original post. However, there has been no interaction from the original poster for over six hours, not sure if you have seen my posts?

You have raised a couple of issues in your recent posts.

If a file is locked this is not a LrC issue this is OS issue but it places restrictions on what LrC can do with the file. The file cannot be deleted from disk from within LrC, you will get an error message.

Screenshot 2020-11-22 at 9.00.52 PM.png

You can export the file to create a new, jpeg, tiff, etc however, you cannot export the original file ( create a copy) since the "locked" file is read-only.

My earlier posts have some screen captures that can demonstrate the test that I did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines