• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When I "edit in Photoshop 2021" the file opens as raw rather than as tiff

New Here ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated to the LrC and Photoshop 2021. For some reason when I edit it photoshop, I am not getting the question, open copy with lightroom adjustments, original, etc. It opens as the raw file in photoshop. My preferences say "edit as tiff" but it isn't working.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

This is perfectly normal when sending raw files to Photoshop.

The file will first open silently in the Camera Raw plugin, where Lightroom adjustments are applied.

Then a new file, rendered from the raw file opens in Photoshop. This file will have the raw file extension, which is misleading.

It is just a generic RGB file, with no particular file type. When you save it, it will save as a tiff, and return to Lightroom.

You only get the dialog with the options to save as a copy etc. with rendered

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

An open file doesn't have a file format.

A file format is a storage specification, instructing how the data will be packaged for disk storage. The file doesn't get a file format until you save it.

When you save this file, it will save as a TIFF. Until then, it's just an image sitting in memory, in its full, unpacked state. The raw extension just tells where it's coming from, not where it's going next.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you seeing the Adobe Camera RAW plugin launcing as a result?

If so, then what version is your Camera RAW plugin?

current is v13.1

In LrC, v10.1, internal Camera RAW is also v13.1

If those two are far enough apart, you could get what is occurring on your rig.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

my versions are correct.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is perfectly normal when sending raw files to Photoshop.

The file will first open silently in the Camera Raw plugin, where Lightroom adjustments are applied.

Then a new file, rendered from the raw file opens in Photoshop. This file will have the raw file extension, which is misleading.

It is just a generic RGB file, with no particular file type. When you save it, it will save as a tiff, and return to Lightroom.

You only get the dialog with the options to save as a copy etc. with rendered files – i.e. jpg, tiff and PSD files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An open file doesn't have a file format.

A file format is a storage specification, instructing how the data will be packaged for disk storage. The file doesn't get a file format until you save it.

When you save this file, it will save as a TIFF. Until then, it's just an image sitting in memory, in its full, unpacked state. The raw extension just tells where it's coming from, not where it's going next.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines