• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When to use DEVELOP BASIC PROFILE over Presets and Standard Color Controls

Enthusiast ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that the profiles are under Basic rather than Camera Calibration, I am confused when to use Profiles over other controls. 

I use a Nikon D5300 and have my Picture Control set to 'Neutral' which is matched to the Camera Neutral Profile in LR. I know that the setting in the camera only affects it's local JPG and not the RAW file I'm processing in LR. However, from what I understand, the Profile is used by the RAW converter. I also understand the Profile is independant of the selected color space.

To ask the question a different way, why can't I set the Profile to none?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

The camera profile is required to convert the raw data in the camera file to RGB data in the LR/ACR color space (Melissa RGB), which is LR's working color space. The profile also contains target toning and color information for specific rendering intentions. If you set yout camera to the Neutral picture style and want to match that inside LR use the 'Camera Neutral' profile in the profile browser.

http://digitaldog.net/files/18Color%20Management%20in%20Lightroom.pdf

You can also change it to

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The camera profile is required to convert the raw data in the camera file to RGB data in the LR/ACR color space (Melissa RGB), which is LR's working color space. The profile also contains target toning and color information for specific rendering intentions. If you set yout camera to the Neutral picture style and want to match that inside LR use the 'Camera Neutral' profile in the profile browser.

http://digitaldog.net/files/18Color%20Management%20in%20Lightroom.pdf

You can also change it to your "default setting."

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/raw-defaults.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Todd for the answer and the links. It helps in getting my head around colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also understand the Profile is independant of the selected color space.

If you're referring to the sRGB/Adobe RGB choice in the camera, this only applies to jpgs. (as well as the jpg embedded in the raw file) Raw files are greyscale files, and do not have a color profile. Lightroom renders an RGB preview (which is what you see on screen in Lightroom), and you only need to choose an ICC profile when you export.

Other than that, Todd has given you a very thorough explanation of how camera profiles work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For RAW files, IMO, the first develop module edit I do, is to change the profile to what I want. And for me it is not an Adobe standard profile, but a camera matching profile.

That choice of profile directly affects the RAW conversion. Develop edits after that are easier as you are starting from a better start point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines