Mar 29, 2015 Mar 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

???

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only the Shadow knows!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think the idea is to look for the latest information with these type of questions, using the search just to read rehashed statements from PR blurbs isn't constructive or answering the question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so you can sort the non-answers by date instead of relevance, there still isn’t any different answer:

https://forums.adobe.com/search.jspa?q=lightroom6 <https://forums.adobe.com/search.jspa?q=lightroom6&place=%2Fplaces%2F1383621&sort=updatedDesc> &place=%2Fplaces%2F1383621&sort=updatedDesc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that defeats the purpose of looking for the latest information....It isn't two weeks old!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 30, 2015 Mar 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

obsidiane82719681 wrote:

that defeats the purpose of looking for the latest information....It isn't two weeks old!

There are numerous LR6 release date threads on this site, including several recent one's that you have replied to yourself.  They all give you basically the same answers "The release date of LR6 has not been confirmed". 

No one outside Adobe knows when the release dates going to be, and if anyone inside Adobe knows they are not allowed to tell.  When an official announcement is made, it will be all over this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wouldn't it be nice if adobe released some official information today or tomorrow or the next day, and then some one came here asking about a release date and you answered them with what adobe said....But wait people keep blocking these discussions and rehashing these exact same lines like its some kind of mantra being recited at a church.

Today is different from yesterday and tomorrow is different from today....get with time, it keeps flowing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You people do the worst of Job of promoting any product i have ever seen, if i was Adobe i would ban the lot of you for being irate and spreading angst. People come here genuinely interested in buying the product, the crucial part of Adobes business and all they get is a bunch of over confident "experts" telling them to shut up, implying they are dumb for not using the search and generally attempting to make fools out of Adobe customers.

Unless your a developer the answer is no you won't know about tech more than me, so keep your "expertise" to your self, it's like listening to wood being sanded, that's how rough your speech sounds.

I don't own LR5 i came here to learn when LR6 is coming out, but the more you people open your mouths the more i lean towards DxO optics and Capture One both do a better job than LR5 and produce better images but I'm waiting to see what LR6 will be like before i commit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

obsidiane82719681 wrote:

You people do the worst of Job of promoting any product i have ever seen, if i was Adobe i would ban the lot of you for being irate and spreading angst.

99.99999% of the people that come here do not work for Adobe.

This is a User to User forum.

Only Adobe the corporation knows when and IF any new version of any piece of software they write will be released. As soon as Adobe posts, makes a statement about, the release of a newer version of any of their software it will be all over the NET.

If there is a Beta version available the people that have it are under a Non-disclosure agreement, They Can't Talk About It.

Lightroom has been out since 2006 or 2007 along with PhaseOne C1 (not sure about DXO) so if you haven't committed to any of them what are you waiting for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that, some people consider themselves product guru's, thats another kind of expert you may not have realised existed.

Lightroom 5 has been out since around 2013, it hasnt seen a major update in two years, those other products do major updates on yearly basis which is why they have newer technology behind them more frequently while Adobe is stuck figuring out that the GPU can process stuff photographers may be intrested in.

It's not like the graphics card was made for graphics or anything

Seriously Adobe seems to develop stuff like EA Madden, in dull iterations they then charge a premium for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

obsidiane82719681 wrote:

those other products do major updates on yearly basis which is why they have newer technology behind them more frequently while Adobe is stuck figuring out that the GPU can process stuff photographers may be intrested in.

The question is what other products do major updates on a yearly basis?

Obviously not the ones I use as, for what I use:

- Lightroom is normally every approx 18 months, v3 - 06/2010, v4 - 03/2012, v5 - 06 - 2013

- same for Capture One Pro, v6 12/2010, v7 10/2012, v8 09 -2014

Sorry that they are the only RAW conversion products I use ... but I don't see a 12 month update cycle for either.

We are all looking forward to the next version of Lightroom but. rest assured, we aren't waiting for it ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No that was just a side note to why they process images better than Lightroom.

Something interesting: Adobe Events - Adobe Create Now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other products exist in markets where fast changing appearance may be a selling point and where hardware support can be locked down with far more certainty, and it's not as if Lightroom has any major competitors left. Senior Adobe software engineers have previously stated that its core processes would not benefit from the GPU, and LR has in fact been changing since 5.0 with synchronisation to mobile/web. But, hey, some anonymous poster knows better than Adobe....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should understand what they said a little better before attacking someone with it. Its current processes may not benefit from it, yet they saw a need to make it a major feature of LR6. It is needed for innovation and efficiency otherwise they wouldn't be using it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, but I do understand why they stated LR's core processes would not benefit from the GPU (Google Eric Chan and Chris Cox for more info). You're just going on assumptions, and have no idea how it may be implemented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try reading what i said, i didn't contradict that point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

obsidiane82719681 wrote:

Try reading what i said, i didn't contradict that point.

Try writing more clearly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a better way to structure this sentence, "Its current processes may not benefit from it".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, though brevity isn't always a virtue. LR's core processes are current and future, unless you know better. Tempting though it may be to see the GPU as a cure-all, it's best not to get too fixated about it. LR has been changing since 5.0, just not how you seem to think it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes i read what they said, unfortunately those comments are from 2011, technology and time have a way of solving past issues, the ability to access the GPU opens that possibility up as well as to innovate new things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't you think such an assertion is, at best, banal? Tech and time also have ways of allowing past issues to be covered up or become irrelevant, and the GPU isn't the only way to open up opportunities for innovation. But sure, if rumours are to be believed, Adobe might be preparing to use the GPU in some way, and no-one could object to that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don't know what your arguing over any more, you sound like your trying to rule out the GPU as a source of innovation. They said that about the GPU because it isn't adept at processing RAW files because of their compression, this is in context to multithreading. The GPU trumps the CPU at multithreading its designed that way for games, but the comment was in 2011, in that time frame a software company could have developed ways to improve the entire process and the GPU has evolved since then.

Eventually all GPU's and CPU's would be merged so this argument will be null in the near future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, not ruling it out but just not so fixated about it since LR's market or hardware environments just aren't the same as some game's. Though perhaps I don't confuse better performance with innovation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

obsidiane82719681 wrote:

Eventually all GPU's and CPU's would be merged so this argument will be null in the near future.

It has already happened! Intel offered their first processors with integrated graphics core in 2010: Intel HD and Iris Graphics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia That said most people using GPU enabled applications have a graphics card installed.

The biggest problem implementing GPU support is keeping the application stable and compatible with multiple manufacturers and GPU models. Every time the GPU manufacturer introduces a driver update it opens the door to "breaking" stable operation with the application, which is entirely out of Adobe's hands. It's a big enough job keeping applications functioning properly with two different OSs (Windows & OS X), now let's throw in GPUs from Intel, Nvidia, AMD......it's not going to a trivial task! I have one GPU enabled application (PowerDirector) that only works with an older Nvidia driver version and another application (ProShow Producer) that only works properly with a newer driver version. So which driver do I use? Again, this is an issue that Adobe has no control over.

It may work well in video games, but I prefer accuracy over speed for my image processing! I hope Adobe keeps LR6 GPU implementation restricted to on-the-fly screen preview updates with the CPU doing the final image data calculations on a less than real-time basis. BTW- I worked in design & development of real-time simulator systems for 20-years...so what do I know!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines