• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When will Tethering be available for the Canon EOS R5?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe - when will the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 be added to the list of Tethered camera support for Lightroom Classic??

Do you have a timeframe for when these cameras will be added?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

From this topic in the official Adobe feedback forum:

"Tethered support for a particular camera model normally follows a version or two after the raw file support. Adobe relies on the manufacturer’s (Nikon & Canon) SDK (Software Development Kit) to facilitate the tethering of your camera to Lightroom. The timing of the release of a manufacturer’s support via their SDK greatly affects the time to release for tethered support. In addition, Adobe goes through a rigorous process of integrating the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Tethering support for the Canon EOS R5 and R6 is now availavle via Lightroom Classic 10.2

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are not Adobe in this forum, we are just other Adobe customers, like you, and Adobe never tells us in advance. So you will find out at the same time as everyone else finds out.

Also, as I understand things, Adobe needs some code from Canon, and so the delay is at Canon's end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From this topic in the official Adobe feedback forum:

"Tethered support for a particular camera model normally follows a version or two after the raw file support. Adobe relies on the manufacturer’s (Nikon & Canon) SDK (Software Development Kit) to facilitate the tethering of your camera to Lightroom. The timing of the release of a manufacturer’s support via their SDK greatly affects the time to release for tethered support. In addition, Adobe goes through a rigorous process of integrating the functionality of the SDK and tests tethering before support is announced."

Canon added tether support for the R5 and R6 to its SDK on 7/22/20, and LR added raw support for them in LR 9.4 (8/18/20), so we might expect to see tether support in 9.5 or 9.6.  A new release of LR comes out once every two months, so middle of October or middle of December.  But as dj_paige mentioned, Adobe rarely announces dates.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, we are at version 10.0 and tethering with the R5 is still not supported! How long do we have to wait to use our cameras with LR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Maior ADV said:

"Hi, we are at version 10.0 and tethering with the R5 is still not supported! How long do we have to wait to use our cameras with LR?"

Please read this exact thread, this is discussed clearly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have LrC v10.1 installed and my Canon R5 doesn't seem to be working with tethered capture. Is this a fault at my end or hasn't Adobe brought this capability to the program yet? It's a real bummer not being able to use the tethered capture with my R5 yet and I had been hanging out for the next update to LrC expecting it to be included, as I desperately need this for my studio. But then I couldn't be sure that it wasn't just a fault at my end because Adobe hasn't updated the list of supported cameras for tethered capture for v10.1 yet... https://helpx.adobe.com/au/lightroom-classic/kb/tethered-camera-support.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't want to do it but I've swithed Capture One, because they currently support tethering (with live view) for the Canon R5. I've used Lightroom for 12 years but might not go back if I feel like Capture One is a better product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see you posted this on October 28th... Wondering as a lightroom Tether capture user what the transition has been like for you for you to Capture One?  Do you like it?  Thanks for your input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - There's a bit of a learning curve for Capture One but I has able to gain a basic knowlege of the program in a couple days. But there is a huge problem with C1, it only saves the image to the computer and not the camera. However a photographer named John Gress has a Youtube video detailing a workaround that allows the image to be saved to the camera. As of today there still isn't R5 tethering support, it's really amazing Adobe can't get this done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was surprised to discover that my images were not being saved to camera
as well. I thought I had not made all the correct settings. I am not a
big fan of C1 but will continue to use it. I think I will go to monthly
subscription until Adobe finally adds tethered capture for the R5.--

Jamesdiedrich.com
https://jamesdiedrich.smugmug.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also just made the switch. I defended lightroom instead of capture one for years and now, I have no choice but to switch to capture one at this point because of the lack of ability to tether with the r5. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I just installed C1 as well and am able to tether my EOSR5 but I am not finding the setting for live view mode. Can you advise with what settings you used? Many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not being a C1 expert and not using live view I believe there is a camera
icon next to camera information and you click on that button --

Jamesdiedrich.com
https://jamesdiedrich.smugmug.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks James! Succcessfully tested. C1 tether especially in Live View mode seems clunkier and less desirable then LRC with the 5D mkiv. Hoping adobe gets an update out soon supporting tethered shooting with the R5! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any new info... on LR including tethering for Canon's R5?  I have been using LR for over 9 years and though tethering in LR has always been "finiky" R5 I can't seem to tether at all with my R5.  B&H Photo has a "Cyber-Monday" deal on Capture One and to be honest "I NEED TO TETHER!" I have so much time invested in LR that making the change seems like a one way street.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Adobe hasn't updated the list of supported cameras for tethered capture for v10.1 yet..."

No new cameras are supported for tethering in LR 10.1:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/whats-new-in-lightroom-classic-10-1/

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got the R5 and was surprised that I could not shoot tethered.  This is huge element in my portrait and commercial workflow.  I've tried the EOS utility and find it lacking.   I think I might need to try 

Capture 1 as it is supported there.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I swithed to C1 because of this issue and it's been a pretty easy transition. Just amazed Adobe can't get this done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we have now reached version 10.1.1 of January, and not even the shadow of the R5 support ... how long do we still have to wait before switching to another software like C1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to wait as long as Adobe takes to add the support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now been using C1 for about 1 month.  I use it for portrait and studio work.   I actually like the software and have the color grading to be much better better than Adobe. Tethered shooting is better as well.  C1 allows for easy access to Photoshop where I can still use plugins etc.   I think in the future I will use C1 for studio/portrait and Lightroom for landscape 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go for it. If it works for you, great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines