Where are my imported pictures?

Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I save and categorize my pictures om my harddisk. In Lightroom, in library, I import them. When I have done that I turn to the develop mode. My imported pictures staued in plain sight. But now, suddenly, when I import a picture this way, it's simply 'gone'. I haven't a clou where Lightroom placed it. I haven't changed anything in my settings. I did have an update recently. Is the anyone whou could help me?

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Where are my imported pictures?

Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I save and categorize my pictures om my harddisk. In Lightroom, in library, I import them. When I have done that I turn to the develop mode. My imported pictures staued in plain sight. But now, suddenly, when I import a picture this way, it's simply 'gone'. I haven't a clou where Lightroom placed it. I haven't changed anything in my settings. I did have an update recently. Is the anyone whou could help me?

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 03, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you want to use "ADD" when you import, and not use "COPY" or "MOVE".

You can find the location where Lightroom Classic has placed your photos by (do this in Lightroom Classic) right-clicking on a photo and selecting "Show in Explorer" (Windows) or "Show in Finder" (Mac)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 03, 2020 1
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, and indeed, 'add' is what I want and allways have done. When the cursor is on the picture it says 'this photo is allready imported', when I click 'Show in explorer', nothing happens:-(.

It used to be: in library mode selecting the wanted folder, click on 'import', simply change from library to develop mode and I could go start . The pictures stayed in plain sight. Now, after the import click, the imported phot is nowhere to be found....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 03, 2020 0
dj_paige LATEST
LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the photo is grey in the Import dialog box, then it has already been imported and you should not import it again, this would be completely wrong.

What you need to do is find the photo in Lightroom Classic by clicking on "All Photographs" and then searching for the photo by file name.

Your discussion would be greatly helped by showing us screen captures of what you are seeing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 04, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use the import dialog properly then Lightroom will import your images and place them where YOU choose to have them placed. But you need to take the time to set your options in that import screen. If you have multiple hard drives then it is possible for you to choose the hard drive, and the main Folder, and specify the subfolder where the images will be placed. If you don't take the time to do that then, yes, the images will be "gone" as far as you know. Lightroom will place them wherever. You are in control, take control.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 03, 2020 0
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I thought I was in control, everything went smooth, just like the way I wanted. I'm going to do what you suggest, thnx again!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 03, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreeing with JimHess, but here's another angle to think about.

Now that you are using Lightroom Classic, you no longer need to find photos in folders; instead you find them in Lightroom Classic, it does the hard job of remembering what folders your photos are in, so you don't have to remember where they are. You assign keywords and other metadata as needed to help you search for photos; no more searching in folders. Not only, as JimHess says "take control", but use the POWER of Lightroom Classic to organize and search.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 03, 2020 0
Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both, but I'm afraid I didn't explain it properly. I am not talking about the actual RAW files. They are placed by me on my harddisk. In library mode I don't import the actual files, Lightroom makes a 'copy', which I can develop in the develop mode and afterwards export as a JPEG to the folder I have chosen. All the time the photo was in plain sight. I didn't have to look for it, just switch from library to develop. Now, when I have imported a photo, pictures from a total different folder come in sight, and the photo I wanted to develop seems to be gone into oblivion.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 04, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if article at the link below helps to clear up any misunderstandings about where your files are located.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-catalogs-top-10-misunderstandings/   

Regards, Denis: System iMac mid-2015, 5K 27”, Ram 24GB, HDD 3TB, macOS 11.1, LrC 10.1 (>10.0), Lr 4.1, Ps 22.1, Pr 14.8.0; Camera OM-D E-M1.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 04, 2020 0