Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

White balance - help please

New Here ,
Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm trying to learn Lightroom Classic. I'm importing my RAW files however the white balance options are still only showing 'as shot' 'auto' and 'custom'

I also don't have the Kelvin scale showing as I've seen on other tutorials.

Any assistance appreciated.

Many thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your description suggests you are NOT editing a 'raw' file. (NEF, CR2, ARW, etc)

The WB settings you describe are for RGB files (JPG, TIF, PSD).

Confirm the file-type you are editing above the filmstrip, or press keyboard [i] to toggle the on-screen info overlay [Ctrl+J]

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi WobertC,

Thank you so much for replying. I went back to confirm the details and the photos are in fact RAW as it states in the info however, they have imported into LRC as .jpeg

Absolutely no idea how or why this has occurred. Will go back to the drawing board on this too 🙂

I should also add that I'm also new to my MacBook Air......

Thank you again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show us a screen capture.

Are you 100% sure you are trying to learn Lightroom Classic; perhaps you are trying to learn Lightroom? What is the version NUMBER of your software (we need to version NUMBER and now words like "current" or "latest")?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote:

I went back to confirm the details and the photos are in fact RAW as it states in the info however, they have imported into LRC as .jpeg

End Quote:

What you state, that your RAW files are being import as JPGs, is completely IMPOSSIBLE.

There is no option in LrC when doing any import to convert RAW files to JPGs and no option in LrC to convert RAW files to JPGs unlesss you Export them and then Select the new files that are created by exporting to be in the JPG format.

So the bottom line is you do not have the camera set to record RAW data, you have it set to record JPG files, or you have it set to record both JPG and RAW files on 2 different cards in the camera and you are importing from the wrong memory card, the card that contains the JPG images.

As above we need to see screen shots of what you are seeing on your computer. Since you are also new to Mac computers here is a lkink that explains how to take screen shots on a Mac.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again,

The version is 9.4

Although the issue isn't resolved I think/hope I'm closer to getting it sorted. My MacBook Air doesn't accept memory cards (I don't have the necessary attachment yet) so I'm downloading the images RAW to my photos on the mac. To get them into Lightroom I'm sending them to another folder first on my desktop, it's here that it changes for some reason to .jpeg files.

Think I'll delete this folder and start again.

Really appreciate your assistance. I'm currently in hotel quarantine so have way too much time on my hands. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

downloading the images RAW to my photos on the mac.

Is that the Mac 'Photos' App?

The 'Photos' App locks your raw files away in a Library file that is not accessible to Lightroom-Classic. You may be only importing JPG 'Previews' that were created by the Photos App.

A Mac person may explain this better than I !

And if this is your circumstance, you will need to 'export' the raw files out of the Photos App to make them available to LrC.

One site that might explain this-

https://photofocus.com/software/moving-from-apple-photos-to-lightroom-the-why-and-the-how/

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi WobertC,

Thanks again for the advice, I will certainly look into this. Obviously I still have much to learn on all subjects and will do my best to improve.

Many thanks

Kate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kate, we still don't really know exactly what you are doing.

"My MacBook Air doesn't accept memory cards (I don't have the necessary attachment yet) so I'm downloading the images RAW to my photos on the mac."

Exactly what steps do you follow here? Please describe this in sufficient detail so we can understand exactly how you are doing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I can support this very neat analysis above of your issue by WobertC in my version LRC 9.2.1 iMac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a thought here, how are you downloading the files from Camera to your Mac? If via WiFi you may only have jpeg copies of the images. I do not have specifics of your Camera Model but I know for sure with my Camera downloading Raw via WiFi is not possible.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Denis,

I currently have a Nikon D5600 and download the photos first onto my iPhone via SnapBridge....then they appear in my Mac photos as RAW. I know there's a better and faster way and I'm determined to get it sorted. I appreciate the support and I'm sure it's a very basic thing for a lot of people lol. Never stop learning right!

Cheers

Kate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Two things.

One, get an external SD card reader to plug into a USB port.

Two, meanwhile, plug the camera into the computer with the SD card in the camera, import from camera, that is untill you get the SD card reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines