• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

White balance value consistency issues for Nikon z6ii and Z7ii in Lightroom Classic

Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an issue in Lightroom where the 'as shot' white balance does not match that captured in camera, so that when I import images from my Z6ii and Z7ii, the white balance values show differently, which means when I apply a standard white balance value as a batch, the images do not match.

I have used many different Nikon bodies together previously, and never experienced this white balance mismatch issue before. 

Basically I shoot on both cameras with identical manual WB settings, 5000 with 0 tint. The cameras seem to match OK as the WB looks the same when you use Nikon Software, and the WB values displayed in the software match those set in camera. The problem is how they are interpreted by Adobe Camera RAW on import to Lightroom. The RAW images look OK, but the 'as shot' values do not match between bodies. 

So files shot at 5000k with 0 tint appear 'as shot' in Lightroom as 4900 +5 with the Z6ii, and 5200 +15 with the Z7ii - Lightroom is converting the Nikon WB profiles to their own and adjusting the values, and the RAW's kind of look pretty similar.

The problem comes when you try to batch edit a shoot - apply a standard daylight WB of say 5500 to images from the same scene, and it all looks terrible. So this leaves a nightmare of trying to match WB manually between the cameras. Is there a solution to this? Why does Lightroom change the value of the imported fiels from 5000 to a figure that doesn't match?

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is normal for different raw processing software to have different WB numbers. Each app has their own processing engine and develop profiles to render the raw data. You can test with different apps like Capture one, ON 1 Raw, and DxO and others.

I recall doing tests in 2005 2006 when I began shooting raw with several apps to decide which app I would choose. Even if I shot with a neutral grey card in the image and selected to click the I dropper from the individual card the RGB numbers were different.

See the screen capture below, its a test with, left to right, Olympus View 2 (camera software), Lightroom 4, and After Shot Pro the images were all corrected with the WB dropper of the individual apps and you can see the difference in the individual colors.

51B6028CBF924C26B34155FCD9C3E842.jpg

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, but it doesn't answer the question I am asking. I'm aware that each processing software creates different valeus and interpretations of the RAW data. I'm not bothered about the numbers matching the values in camera, just consistency between the two cameras which I know to have the same WB profile. This is the problem here, all other processing software treats the two cameras the same and provides consistent values as a starting point, while Lightroom doesn't.

There appears to be soemthing in the formula used for the Z7ii which is creating an anomaly in how the white balance is displayed on import. The two cameras should show a consistent WB value, but they don't, which is the issue I am trying to solve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the same default develop settings for both camera models?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

By virtue of the fact that the initial mapping is different on both cameras, you'll never have a situation where applying set values to both will give exactly the same colour. Perhaps a color card (like the ColorChecker Passport) shot with both cameras in the same lighting would give you a start point for your colour (and a profile if necessary). 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is totally expected that two cameras (even the same make and modle) might show differences in WB which is just a metadata suggestion from a device (two devices in this case) that don't really 'measure' color. And further, the same CCT value (say CCT 5000K) is a number that defines a lot of possible colors; not just one. 

See: http://digitaldog.net/files/22Thecolorofwhite.pdf

You'll likely need to build your own WB off set for one or more cameras to get them to 'match'. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines