• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can’t I see my previous edits in Lightroom CC after editing and saving a photo in Photoshop?

New Here ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shoot raw and then import the images into Lightroom Classic CC as DNG’s. I do the majority of my editing in Lightroom, and if I have to do some touch-up work on an image in Photoshop, I select “edit in>Photoshop” from the Lightroom menu and the image opens in Photoshop. I select the “edit a copy with Lightroom Classic adjustments” option, do touch-ups, and then save the image. It saves the image as a TIFF back to Lightroom. Problem is, I can’t see or access any of the edits I did in Lightroom previous to the Photoshop touch-ups. Sometimes I might want to adjust a Lightroom edit I did to the image previous to the Photoshop touch-ups, but it doesn’t appear to be available in the TIFF image. What am I missing? I’d really like to be able to make adjustments to existing edits (global or local) on an image in Lightroom if needed after doing touch-ups in Photoshop. Thank you for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Edit a copy with LR adjustments" includes the word "WITH": meaning that LR adjustments (including how the Raw conversion is being done, and subject to the colourspace which has been set) cannot thereafter be separated out again, within this new copy.

You can defer some kinds of LR adjustment that you think you may later reconsider, and only apply them AFTER an image version returns back to LR from Photoshop. Such adjustments will remain non-destructive so you can continue to vary them indefinitiely. And you can further change the PS editing too, which underlies these post-PS adjustments. Necessarily, post-PS adjustments are not visible while you are working in PS: becasue they effectively "haven't happened yet" in the overall workflow. They will again be seen when  you save PS changes and return to LR, that image preview updates with your new PS work, with all LR adjustments overlaid once more.

Clearly some 'content-optimising' adjustments such as those controlling the Raw conversion itself, need to have been set before going to PS, in this workflow. You may get less good final results, if you take the image into PS without having first made the best possible usage of the Raw data, such as basic tonality choices, white-balance, higlight recovery etc. So in my opinion, the sorts of adjustment that it makes sense to delay until after a PS round-trip, tend to be more 'presentational'. The sort of thing where you might want the option to have different virtual copies in LR, each one differently cropped / vignetted / split toned or whatever. Or even, different monochrome conversions or perspective treatments: whatever. And in this case, clearly the PS work would concentrate only on tasks that could not have been done in LR.

There is another workflow for external editing, whereby your Raw data, and current LR adjustments, are embedded into a Smart Object layer within the new PS document. This workflow allows you to further re-visit all of these LR adjustments indefinitely, though no longer by using LR. Instead, this is done via an Adobe Camera Raw interface, when editing the Smart Object within Photoshop. You can then put Smart Filters onto this embedded Raw file or overlay it with standard PS layers. On saving, the visual effect of all this is seen in LR and you can work further over the top, there.

It is as expected that the LR processing for an image version first returning from Photoshop, should be zeroed out.

The adjustments previously seen have been already included - either directly into the pixels, or (if edited as a Smart Object) into ACR settings used within PS. So to have the same settings showing again, onto the PS-edited thumbnail, would be to have double-applied those adjustments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines