Highlighted

Why do have upgrade catalog??

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe community,

When I try to open Lightroom Classic (9.1) I get a message: "We need to upgrade your catalog for use with Lightroom Classic. LC will create a new catalog in the destination indicated below"…. Etc… I can't use LR until I have created a new catalog.
Why do I get the message and have to create a new catalog?

I read so much misery about upgrading, are there any tips, things I should pay attention to?

Cheers Gitta

Because Lightroom 9.1 requires a different internal structure in the catalog, so upgrade is mandatory.

I read so much misery about upgrading, are there any tips, things I should pay attention to?

Upgrading is such a simple process, you click "Upgrade" and walk away, and in a few minutes the upgrade is over. 

Topics

FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Why do have upgrade catalog??

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe community,

When I try to open Lightroom Classic (9.1) I get a message: "We need to upgrade your catalog for use with Lightroom Classic. LC will create a new catalog in the destination indicated below"…. Etc… I can't use LR until I have created a new catalog.

Cheers Gitta

Because Lightroom 9.1 requires a different internal structure in the catalog, so upgrade is mandatory.

Upgrading is such a simple process, you click "Upgrade" and walk away, and in a few minutes the upgrade is over. 

Topics

FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You get this message if you have started Lightroom 9.1 for the first time after installing the update. 

It's right that you have to update your catalog. But normally all is done automatically and Lightroom create a new catalog and bring it up to the new version. Your "old" catalog will be leave untouched.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
JimHess LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The updated catalog will be a copy of the old catalog, and will contain all of the work that was in it. It will have the same name but will have a -2 appended to its name. It should all be done automatically and when the upgrade process is complete you should be able to continue working uninterrupted. This process is necessary because the database engine which drives the catalog requires the update.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines