• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why Does Lightroom Classic Takes Up So Much Space on My Laptop When All Files are Stored on Cloud?

New Here ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm really baffled by this.  All my raw files, imported files, and catalogs are stored on my Gmail iCloud drive.  Whenever  I  load Lightroom Classic and work on a  Catalog  I get the message from my MacBook telling me that  I'm running out of space.  We are talking 6 to 8 GB of space that it eats up each and every time.  When I close out Lightroom I get those  6 to 8 GB of space back.  Can someone please explain this to me?  And what can I do to avoid this?  Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If 6 to 8GB cause your machine to run out of space, you will soon have much bigger problems. That's virtually nothing. For instance, if you have Photoshop installed, it will most likely refuse to open at all, let alone open any files.

A healthy system shoud have at the very least 100GB or more free space on the system drive. You are working with professional-grade applications, and they make no allowances or excuses for limited machine resources. It's your responsibility to provide it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your 'Gmail iCloud Drive'? iCloud Drive is something from Apple, but it is a local (hidden) folder that is constantly synced to the Apple servers. That means your computer contains a local copy, and that is probably what you see. I agree with D Fosse however. If 6 to 8 GB is a problem already, then you have other things to worry about than Lightroom.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LrC) reports it. In LrC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste that information into a reply. Please present all information from first line down to and including Plug-in Info. Info after Plug-in info can be cut as that is just so much dead space to us non-Techs.

exampleexample

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what Gmail iCloud drive is. However, Google drive does enable you to store images in the cloud and manage them through a local catalog. The drive actually displays as a local folder on my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just so your are aware, Adobe apps sync with Your Adobe Creative account storage on the Internet the storage of your files has absolutely nothing to do with the likes of iCloud an Apple controlled storage, Google, Dropbox or the like.

Your files and data is stored in a Adobe controlled facility.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm not sure what you are suggesting. However, this is a partial listing of drive K on my computer. The highlighted folder contains images of my daughter's wedding day. Those images are stored on Google Drive, and I am managing the editing in Lightroom Classic with a local catalog.

Screenshot 2020-12-12 184817.jpg

The other two folders are just backups that are stored for obvious backup reasons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines