• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does the lens profile change when editing in Ps?

New Here ,
Nov 24, 2019 Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I'm really struggling at the moment with my Lr-Ps workflow. I've got a .CR2 photo in Lr that has the correct lens profile applied to it. I then right-click to edit in Ps, creating a .tiff, save, move back to Lr, and the new image has a different lens profile applied to it. 

This is becoming increasingly frustrating as any adjustments I applied on top look completely different in this incorrect profile, and I can't change it manually (rather, I can, but the correct profile is no longer an option). 

How can I move back and forth between Lr and Ps without worrying about this lens profile change?

Thanks in advance! 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The TIFF file that comes back from Photoshop should not have any lens profile applied to it, because the raw lens profile was already applied when the tiff was created from the raw file. If you mean that the TIFF has a different camera profile (in the basic panel) applied to it; that is normal. Again the raw profile was applied when the tiff was created, so the profile that is now shown is either 'Embedded' or simply 'Color'.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Johan,

Thanks for this. Below is what I'm seeing:

.CR2 in Lr 64676857-9CF3-4AEA-8E3B-BA2F49F9ACCF.png

(I'm satisfied with this)

The Tiff that returns from Ps:8A273FFA-3377-44DE-8E64-1D3A22EBA3DF.png

I've tried saving the metadata to the file before I open it in Ps but have no idea if this makes any difference anyway...

Any ideas? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again,

I'm realising now that lens profiles might not have anything to do with the bigger issue. 

Essentially, I am applying adjustments to a Raw image, then I want to correct something in Photoshop (spot remove, for example), but when the Tiff comes back to Lr, the same adjustments look completely different.

You're right in that 'Adobe Standard' is now 'Embedded' and I suspect this is what is causing my issue (the WB sliders display different numbers in this profile?)

I suppose I don't know enough about camera profiles to figure this out but all I really want is to be able to apply the exact same adjustments and overall 'look' to the Tiff that I applied to the Raw — is there any workaround? 

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should not have anyone's profile applied to the file that comes back from photoshop. I think you fundamentally misunderstand raw files. You cannot edit raw files in Photoshop (or any other program). You can only render them. Lightroom's interface basically allows you to create a recipe that tells how to render the raw file into an attractive image. To edit an image you have to render the raw file to a rastered rgb type image such as a tiff. This is what you edit in Photoshop. All info such as white balance, camera profile, lens profile correction now get baked in in the rendered tiff data and become the new zero starting point. You can't now go back and apply a different camera profile as you no longer have the raw data. White balance adjustments are no longer absolute but relative to the 'baked-in' whitebalance, etc etc. 

so if you get a lens profile on a tiff coming back from photoshop that is wrong. You shouldn't do this as youwill be doubly correcting. The image was already corrected when it was still raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In addition to what was written above, the vast majority of lens profiles available in LR are for use with Raw files only. Only a limited number can be applied also to rendered formats (jpg, tiff, psd), so it is entirely expected that LR's lens profile menu will offer only a few choices, none of which match your lens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines