• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is it so slow to just move files?

Engaged ,
Sep 24, 2019 Sep 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been like this forever and there's really no reason for it. If i copy or move files within windows, it's done in a fraction of the time it takes lightroom to do it. The only difference in having lightroom move the files is it also has to update the file location in the catalog. Which also should take a fraction of a second to do since we're only talking about 100-400 files at a time.

It's issues like this that make me consider using something instead of LR. It's litterally the most basic of tasks - would be a homework task in programing 101. And yet lightroom has always failed at this task.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Write Changes Into XMP  turned on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, i do not. I don't use xmp files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume that you have Optimized the catalog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you ever find a solution for this? 

I've turned everything off that I can find and a simple move command from the SAME SSD to another folder on the SAME SSD is horrendously slow.  Latest and Updated Windows 10.

In the file browser the command is a few seconds ( Only has to update the file table I assume)

Inside Lightroom it would have to Update the file table and then update the database and any preview files so I understand it should be a little slower.

It seems like Lightroom is doing something totally different to asking the OS to move the file and its very very slow.

The only other thing i noticed is lightroom seems to want to move many files at once and perhaps its casuing a bottleneck.

I was going to create my own Question for this but i'm curious if anyone solved this. Same problem on my Laptop and Desktop so seeems to be Lightroom Classic related. (March 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines