• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is Lightroom not showing the face tags after the photo has been rotated?

Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2019 May 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, have been struggling to find an answer to my problem:

If i draw a face region or if a photo has already the data of the face region and i rotate it 90° and i remove the photo from lightroom and re-import, it won't recognize the facetags despite that the information is in the XMP.

*As long as the photo is horizontal (that is normal orientation), there is no problem, i can delete the photo from Lightroom and re-import and it wil recognize the face region with the person's name.

i have tried to edit xmp metadata in all sorts of ways with exiftool to see if that would fix the problem but havent' had any luck.

I would appreciate any help to fix this issue.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I observe different behavior in my LR 8.3.1.  Starting with a photo that has a tagged face, when I do Photo > Rotate Left, Metadata > Save Metadata To File, Photo > Remove Photo From Catalog, and then import that photo back into the catalog using Add, the face rectangle and face tag are preserved.

Do Help > System Info. What is the exact version of LR you're running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I'm curious -- why do you want to rotate a photo with face tags and re-import it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2019 Jun 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don't want to do that, its just a way to see if light room is detecting the face tags and it isn't...I want to solve this cause if i ever remove my picture from my catalog or import those photos into another pc with lightroom or i rotate the photo would just have to tag them again, that's not right it is supposed to detect the face tags but with photos that have Orientation=90° the tags are not read despite it has the xmp metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same version 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's figure out what's going on in your configuration.  Do this:

1. Select a sample raw photo that's not working.

2. Make sure it has a tagged face.

3. Do Metadata > Save Metadata To File.

4. Right-click the photo and do Show In Finder / Explorer.

5. Make a copy of the photo and the .xmp sidecar and rename before.nef and before.xmp (or whatever raw extension it has).

6. Rotate the photo 90 degrees and repeat steps 3 - 5, renaming the second copy after.nef and after.xmp.

7. Upload all four files to Dropbox or similar and post the sharing link here. (It likely isn't necessary to upload the second copy of the raw file, but in rare cases the raw file and .xmp sidecar can get inconsistent.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thank for trying to help me... i just tried with raw file .CR2 and it works! The problems is in the .jpg, so do you still need that i post the raw images or the jpg, or is this a normal behavior with .jpg?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm able to reproduce the behavior with a JPEG.  It's curious that it happens with a JPEG and not a raw -- I'll investigate further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's a bug with JPEG import. The same region information gets written to the XMP metadata regardless of whether it's a raw or JPEG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2019 Jun 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it is a bug that really sucks, something so basic, i think i will switch to another software. I dont understand why nobody else talks about this online, this is a bad thing for those who take vertical JPEG. Thanks for your time and help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was tearing my hair out trying to figure out why what seemed to be random JPGs were losing their face tags when imported into a different catalog...and this is the reason.

Confirmed that this is still a bug in Lightroom Classic 10.1.1 under the specific conditions listed above. Adobe, this has been a bug for nearly two years...are you listening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines