• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Tethering support requests and information

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post is applicable to Lightroom Classic.

ETAs for tethered support for specific cameras are not available.

Tethered Capture is a feature of Lightroom Classic that allows the direct connection of your camera to the Lightroom desktop environment. Images are imported into your Lightroom catalog as they are captured via the connected camera. 

New camera support for reading the raw files is generally added quickly after a camera is released by its manufacturer.  New camera support can be verified here: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

Tethered support for a particular camera model normally follows a version or two after the raw file support. Adobe relies on the manufacturer’s (Nikon & Canon) SDK (Software Development Kit) to facilitate the tethering of your camera to Lightroom. The timing of the release of a manufacturer’s support via their SDK greatly affects the time to release for tethered support. In addition, Adobe goes through a rigorous process of integrating the functionality of the SDK and tests tethering before support is announced.

To see if your camera is supported for tethering on your version of Lightroom, refer to this document: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/tethered-camera-support.html

If your camera is listed, but your Lightroom version is too old, you may need to update or upgrade to enable tethering.

If your camera is not listed, and your camera’s raw file isn't supported, you would need to check with the camera’s manufacturer to see if they support tethering via their SDK. 

Note: Not all camera manufacturers or models will necessarily receive tether support.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 391 Replies 391
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dears, we eagerly await  Z 9 tethering. I wonder how I can be forced into a subscription model, when just I have to do my job, means pay, and you just decide not to maintain the product? Is there any plan to do so, 10 Months after the release of this camera?
I am s studio pro, dumb enough to switch my proven D850 bodies for Z 9 ones just to understand Adobe is not supporting the flagship.

Any help / hint would be highly appreciated. I really feel urged to swap the ecosystem, as your competitor can do without problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news this week with the update on Z9 tether?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the tether workaround (auto import) with NX Tether software. It actually works better than the old clunky LR way of tethering, in my opinion. So nice to be able to tether successfully finally with the Z9. I'm also looking at Capture, as the Capture users rave no end about it's tethering ability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, same here. I bought Capture one and am thinking of ditching LR altogether. They just are not supporting photographers like they use to. This is a prelude to their coming AI market where photographers in many genres will be replaced by secretaries and assistants because AI will do the work of the photographer. It is already happening to lower end photographers. 

Their clients are using iPhones for company headshots and AI software cleans up the shirt iPhone picture and replaces the background and shapes the light. 

This is where Adobe is going.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. Tell me about your Capture learning journey and tether experience?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot tell you much since I only bought it because I had no choice, but it just works flawlessly. I bought a year long subscription. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide some feedback on the Capture One Experience.  I'm tired of waiting as well and likely will flip over to Capture One soon as I don't think Adobe is going to update LR for the Z9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just works, plain and simple. No connection issues at all. I have ditched Lightroom because you can no longer shoot tethered with new Nikon Cameras.

I think Adobe is just trying to prove the point that photographers are no longer the priority. Sounds counter intuitive but AI will render many on the lower end of the income scale obsolete.

Regards,

Ed Carreón

CORPORATE | EDITORIAL | STORIES | PORTRAITURE

<Information removed for privacy>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Z9 tether in LR????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys

i use lightroom 11.5 on my mac

but it cant seem to find my canon r7 when i start a tethering session

im a doing something wrong

or is it just not supported yet?

Hope to hear from anyone 

Thanks!

[moving from bugs to discussions - Mod.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The R7 seems not yet to be supported.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/tethered-camera-support.html

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is a old article it says Last updated on Jun 14, 2022

so this is not about version 12 of lightroom classic 

so wil it work under v12 or not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The article is current. The R7 is not yet supported. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. May I ask WHEN will it be possible to thether with LR without having to run it on emulation mode (super slow and laggy) on Apple M Chips? First M1 is out for more than 2 years now...

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additional info, Adobe provides tethered support in Lightroom Classic for approximately, 50 Canon and 37 Nikon, Camera models at the present. Considering the number of Digital Cameras on the market this is a relatively small persentage.

I expect Canon and Nikon provide tether capture software for the Cameras they manufacture and sell.

Judging from the number of posts in the Adobe forum the with respect to tether capture the magority of Canon and  Nikon are not satisfied with the software from the Camera manufacturer.

I use an Olympus Camera and I am fully satisfied with the software supplied by Olympus.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe

When will tethering be possible with Canon EOS R5 C? I'm surprised that it is still not possible with the new update.

Christian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2022 Oct 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is ther any updates on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear @Rikk Flohr: Photography Thanks for having added R5C Raw Files to LR, but we're still missing the Tether Function... to fully use this great hybrid camera, we would love to have that back. (And of course.. Native M1 Tethering would be most welcome) Thank you very much, Kevin 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone else out there who'd love to be able to tether their Sony with Lightroom? This a99ii 42mp beast is built for such things. Please add the ability, Adobe powers-that-be! We're doing pictures with Santa for our Holiday Party...and I really want to automate the post production.

What are my odds?

[Moved from the non-technical Lounge to the specific Program forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an open forum with "some" Adobe staff participation, use the links below to make a report

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform for feature requests or bug reports

-or Feedback forum https://forums.adobe.com/community/creative_cloud/desktop-app/content

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are my odds?

To get Sony tethering by Christmas -- infinitesimal.  To get Sony tethering in the next couple of years, still very low.

While Sony has long provided a software developer kit for wireless tethering, Adobe employee Rikk Flohr indicated that Adobe may have decided that it doesn't meet their needs.  (Adobe uses the SDK's provided by Canon and Nikon for those cameras, rather than writing the tethering libraries from scratch, as Capture One does.)  See this long discussion: Lightroom: Add Tethered Support for Sony cameras | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Please add your request to this other topic, which is the current topic for tethering requests: Lightroom: When will my camera be supported for Tethering? | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting, thanks!

Do think this is just a matter of the powers-that-be working to keep out the "new" kid on the block?

I ask because it looks like there are plenty of companies at this point that have used the Sony SDK to power tethered shooting software, and if they can, surely Adobe could.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do think this is just a matter of the powers-that-be working to keep out the "new" kid on the block?

I don't have any particular knowledge about Adobe's thinking on this other than what they posted in that thread.  In general, though, Adobe is very hard-nosed about their revenue streams and profit, and I don't think they'd walk away from serious revenue just because they want to do a favor for Canon and Nikon. 

I ask because it looks like there are plenty of companies at this point that have used the Sony SDK to power tethered shooting software, and if they can, surely Adobe could.

The Sony SDK uses wireless connections rather than USB cables.  Setting that up requires LR and the user to do significantly different steps than cable-based tethering.

Perhaps Adobe wasn't interested in modifying LR to accommodate this difference while making it easy for users; or perhaps Adobe thought the wireless tethering would be too slow; or perhaps Adobe has decided that Capture one owns the tethering market with a superior professional product and it isn't worth it for Adobe to pursue those users any more.  All just speculation on my part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More good insight, thanks!

I mean for example that the Capture One software I tried out yesterday with a cable tether worked fantastically with my a99ii.

Would that not have been done with code made available through Sony's SDK? Or is that what you were addressing when you said they build their software "from scratch"?

I have to think that with all the cameras Sony has been selling (esp. all the studio pros raving over the R series) there would be a substantial gain in user base by opening up this compatibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean for example that the Capture One software I tried out yesterday with a cable tether worked fantastically with my a99ii.

Would that not have been done with code made available through Sony's SDK? Or is that what you were addressing when you said they build their software "from scratch"?

Right.  Capture One doesn't use the manufacturer-provided SDKs but writes their own code for tethering. Whether they have an agreement with the manufacturers to get documentation on the tethering protocols or they've reverse-engineered the protocols without the manufacturers' cooperation, I don't know.

I have to think that with all the cameras Sony has been selling (esp. all the studio pros raving over the R series) there would be a substantial gain in user base by opening up this compatibility.

Perhaps -- or perhaps only a small fraction of the LR user base actually uses tethering.  Adobe typically doesn't explain these things.

Going forward, Victoria Bampton (Lightroom Queen), who is well-plugged-in to Adobe, wrote, "Future development of Lightroom Classic is being refocused on improving performance and enhancing the editing tools."  So the minimal focus on fixing bugs and improving features in Library (including tethering) over the past many years will be even more reduced.  Thus, it's important to provide feedback to Adobe in the official Adobe feedback forum, even though it usually seems like spitting in the wind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines