• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: support X-Trans properly

Contributor ,
Jun 10, 2014 Jun 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is getting crazy now - Lightroom is the only RAW editor that still messes up Fuji X-Trans files. Why?

We have smaller, less finaced businesses and even individuals producing RAW convertors that can do this, why is Adobe struggling so badly?

Iridient Developer

Photo Ninja

LightZone

Capture One

SilkyPix

Raw Therapee

Aperture

All of these produce much better results and leave Lightroom looking very under par.

I can't see any reason for this. I have invested a lot of money in Lightroom (and the Creative Suite set of Adobe tools) over my entire professional life, and I did this becasue I came to expect Adobe to be at the forefront of developing up to date tools with innovative features and supporting the latest hardware. But sadly, this seems to no longer be the case and they are left looking third rate compare to far smaller developers.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 223 Replies 223
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2015 Jun 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Great to hear Adobe is finally addressing this issue. I manage a Facebook group of Fuji X shooters and this is one of the most discussed topics. I stopped shooting landscapes with my X-T1 for this very reason. I love Fuji and once they fix this issue it will be the platform for me!  I currently shoot Oly EM1, but would love to swap back! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2015 Aug 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After five pages all I want to know is, if I'm on a PC, what program should I be using with a Fuji X-30 RAW file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 10, 2015 Aug 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The X30 was supported starting with LR 5.7 back in November:  Cameras supported by Camera Raw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2015 Aug 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Much obliged. I was considering changing my mind about buying one after reading some of these posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 12, 2015 Aug 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this is news, but here is some info in the Camera Raw 9.1 update:

Fixed Bugs:

• Reduced “color blur” artifacts when processing Fujifilm X-Trans raw images. In collaboration with Fujifilm, we are still investigating methods to improve fine detail rendering and overall edge definition.
  • The “Remove Chromatic Aberration” checkbox is now enabled by default for all Fujifilm cameras.
  • Fixed crash when reading some JPEG images.
  • Fixed bug where Camera Raw Filter would incorrectly show a soft-proofed image.
  • Improved quality of display color management on some wide-gamut displays when GPU acceleration is enabled.
  • HDR and Pano Merge: Cleared in-camera crop before merging rather than destructively applying it prior to merging.
  • Pano Merge: Fixed a Pano blending issue specific to Leica M9.
  • Fixed a bug with Panasonic LX100 – extended ISO 100 was too bright and Magenta Highlights have been fixed.
  • Fixed a bug with Nikon Coolpix P7800 NRW raw files that showed only Matrix as camera profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2015 Aug 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is not a matter of just blur. The decoding on X-trans is not right in many many situations. It needs to get detail from the sensor, you can specially see on leaves from the trees, lines, bordes, grass textures, asphalt first planes...

With an updated  Photoshop CC:

Captura de pantalla 2015-08-29 21.09.59.png

Or with Lightroom CC:

Captura de pantalla 2015-08-29 21.09.25.png

I don't see many impovement from previous versions.

Even with the software provided with fuji (RAW file converter from Sylkpix) is better:

Captura de pantalla 2015-08-29 21.09.21.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 29, 2015 Aug 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The release notes say this, as well:

" In collaboration with Fujifilm, we are still investigating methods to improve fine detail rendering and overall edge definition."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2015 Aug 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still investigating means is still not fix. I hope on next update they finally really fix it in collaboration with Fujifil. I have the camera since 2013 and now is August 2015.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2015 Oct 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took some fall foliage photos today with the XT1. The LR CC raw conversion is useless. The leaves are all muddy giving a blurred appearance. I used Silky to confirm they are sharp, and they are.  I can upload if needed, but I suspect Adobe has more than enough examples.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lets agree.... no matter if x-trans or other raw formats... adobes demosaicing needs an update.

compared to capture one or photo ninja i see room for improvement.

USEFULL improvement.. not nonsense like a new import dialog for mobile user who don´t know what a folder is......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The facts are that Adobe is providing an alternative to the software provided by your camera manufacturer to process the raw files. If their (Adobe's) efforts fall short of your expectations then you are under no obligation to use their option.

Your only source of redress or complaint is to your camera manufacturer, FujiFilm.

My opinion on this issue with the Fuji x-trans sensor is that Adobe may need to do major re-engineering to their processing engine. Software for the processing of raw digital images is still in the stage of development and is not a mature product and Adobe is not necessarily the "industry standard"

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2015 Oct 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would one possible solution be to load the raw file into Silky then save as tiff and import tiff into lightroom?  Preliminary test looks good. If so are there any specific adjustments in Silky that would improve the result or is simply saving without changes adequate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2015 Nov 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for my bad english...but here's my experience with XTrans on LR :

There seem's to be a real problem with XTrans demosaic operations. Not only in LR.

I had the strange artefacts you talk about on many of my pictures.

I use pictures for printing (mainly landscapes for tourist offices and tourism businesses).

When i print A2 size i see them very well.

These artefacts appear also in other softwares (C1, Aperture) but a bit less pronounced than in LR.

Even when you use nearly no sharpening the artefacts appear in some zones of the images.

The last months of my X-T1 usage i took allways three or four images of the same subject...hoping one would not present these strange effects. Sometimes it has worked (i can't explain why...maybe some light rays where different from one image to another ???).

Another problem is the very very slow operation on XTrans images.

Amazing to see how fast LR is when working on 36 MP Nikon images compared to the 16MP Fuji ones.

(working on a MacBook Retina...the fuji image processing drains my battery down very fast...processor is allways working hard...the fan is allways running)

After one and a half year i finally gave up. To much for me.

I sold the X-T1 and bought another APSC camera with a "classic" sensor (classic = not XTrans) : all the problems are gone

Just my modest opinion on all this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2015 Nov 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just adding my 12,09 EUR/month: I'm using LR CC 2015.2.1 and the problem of the "water color effect" is still there.

Random screenshot at 100%:

Capture.JPG

Hope this gets solved soon because I jumped into the Fuji-system without knowing the Adobe-demosaicing problem. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2015 Nov 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DSCF6615 1.jpglightroom-6615.jpgCapture One on the left, LR6 CC on the right, both 100% - I think you can see the false pattern issue very well on the central boulder. No more to say really.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 21, 2015 Nov 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No idea what those postage stamps are meant to prove, Dennis - they're processed completely differently (the Lr image having been "opened up" much more than the Cap One crop), and what you call "false pattern" just looks like - well, rocks - to me, along with some noise caused by questionable NR and sharpening settings in Lr.

Oh - and for those of you who actually believe the title of this thread:

http://forum.dxo.com/index.php/topic,9957.msg55442.html#msg55442

Fuji X-A1?

support du fuji XT 1

So not "everyone" supports X-Trans at all, much less "properly".

Seriously, you lot - time to let it go. Adobe's current demosaicing is never going to suit you, and there's no sign of it ever changing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2017 Mar 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh... it's real.  Check this out...  X-Pro2.  ISO 200 f5.6 1/160  Swirls everywhere.  Histogram mostly in the middle.

Screen Shot 2017-03-11 at 8.18.28 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently switched to Fuji(which I'm overall loving). The one thing the bums me out is of course the poor processing of RAF-files that LR does Even though things seem to have gotten a lot better and I do think LR does a pretty good job regarding sharpness and details(though I feel it could still be a bit better), the "watercolor" effect is sadly still very much an issue..

I do use Iridient X-Transformer which does a significantly better job with foliage and other more complex textures(though it's not 100% perfect either).

I really hope Adobe will keep improving X-trans support so that one day I won't have to use X-Transformer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2016 Jan 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there!

Time to come back to this thread and give my 2 cents again.

I think there happened something with the latest LR Version, 6.4.

I took my original Image, stated earlier in this post. Processed it agin in Capture One 9 and Lightroom and compared again.

LR ist still lacking the last bit of micro contrast, but i can see a massive improvement. the screenshots are made with 200% of zoom, because i have an iMac 5K and at 100% i can not see any difference!

Another BIG plus for Fuji X-Trans shooters is, that LR is the only one who mimics exactly the film simulations! No other company does it that good.

I think, with the introduction of the latest cameras of fujifilm, with a new sensor in the X-Pro 2, we can observe some movement right now...

please check the images below!

Bildschirmfoto 2016-01-29 um 10.01.37.png

Bildschirmfoto 2016-01-29 um 10.01.50.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 29, 2016 Jan 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So we are now into the second year of this post - and still NO REPLY from Adobe - what's the point of an Adobe Community if it's one-sided.

For any new visitors, it's stiull a huge problem, Adobe have still done nothing about it.

Here's a new one showing the FREE developer RAW Tharapee versus the latest Lightroom by a company valued at $4.32 billion.
TS1600x1600~3384518.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2016 Feb 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've lost all hope that Adobe is going to address the issue.  Their overall Fuji processing (especially the sharpening) just sucks when compared to other options out there.  The worst part is that I can't use Iridient on my custom PC (mac only), so if I have a really important photo, then I have to transfer it to my Macbook to process properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2016 Feb 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The official Photoshop feedback site might be a good place to direct comments to Adobe about your concern:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/fuji_x_trans_support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Months later, it's still the same. Every detail area of an image coming from that sensor is full of swirls and worms that get even more visible if any sharpening is applied, and considerably more on higher ISO images. Ridiculous. None of the other converters get that exactly right either. I've seen the worms even with in-camera RAW conversion. I'd take a regular Bayer sensor over this x-trans junk any time, but I do like the Fuji camera and lenses overall, but it's much worse in Lightroom than anything else I've tried.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just want to share this comparison between a normal sensor and an x-trans sensor. Shot with the same lens and basically the same settings (somehow I changed the shutter speed when). The artifacts and washed out colors in the X-T2 file are not pretty. 

Feel free to download these if you wanna see what they look like in LR yourself 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TaouEUmnoIOwshGcO9ZXgb8aTrHeP_7y/view?usp=sharing,

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zye5uuCE3vfLnIgOumCTyoN-DBgz8l_D/view?usp=sharing

X-T2 vs X-T100 Lightroom.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines