• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will more memory help LR Classic CC grid view scroll more smoothly?

Contributor ,
Dec 15, 2018 Dec 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New 2017 27-inch Retina iMac works much better for me than many on this forum describe, but I do get jerky scrolling in grid view. Everything else seems fine, about the same as my old 2013 iMac.

Would expanding my memory beyond 8GB help with that?

Thanks,

Russell

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2018 Dec 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Use GPU checked or unchecked in your Preferences > performance tab? Do you have multiple apps open at the same time?

Doubling your RAM should increase the speed 8MB is the minimum requirement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 16, 2018 Dec 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

I’ve tried checking and unchecking GPU, but it’s had no effect on the grid scrolling. I just don’t know if adding RAM will help that specific thing, or if grid scrolling is a video memory issue. I hate to spend $140 on memory and have it not help the scrolling issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2018 Dec 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll see improvemed performance across all apps with increased RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a new Mac Pro with 32MB ram and an internal SSD. The application is on the drive, pictures on a LaCie 4 TB external drive attached with thunderbolt.  Even so, I have the same problem as rbanks88.  It's counterintuitive that such a machine can not make scrolling smooth.  Is this a software problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grid view scrolling generally is not dependent on memory, but faster disk speed (disk where the catalog is stored) may help. Is the catalog stored on an SSD? How large is your monitor in pixels (not inches)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Catalog and software is stored on an SSD. Display is 5120x2880.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines