• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will the LR catalog "follow" if I move a folder to an off-computer drive

Engaged ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stupid question.  I want to move a years worth of photos (2015) from my computer's storage disk to a separate backup drive.  Clarification, now that I think about it:  the 2015 folder is already on the backup drive, as is the LR catalog....it's one of two separate backup drives I use for data and photo backup.

So my question really is:  I loaded the 2015 photos into LR from the computer's storage disk, so do I really need to transfer the 2015 folder from the computer drive to the backup drive?  That folder is already on the back up drive.  If I simply remove the 2015 folder from the computer drive, will LR still recognize the folder stored in the backup drive?  "Recognize" as in retaining Key Words and other metadata.  If I'm not making sense, just say so :).

Thanks,

Bruce

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Hi Bruce,

Not a stupid question at all. In fact it's very wise.

As long as you move that folder within the stucture of LRC, you will not have any problems. If you look at this short video, it may answer all your questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9B0lq6GJZc

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bruce,

Not a stupid question at all. In fact it's very wise.

As long as you move that folder within the stucture of LRC, you will not have any problems. If you look at this short video, it may answer all your questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9B0lq6GJZc

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Gary!  That makes sense, as I figured I had to be able to point LRC in the right direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I loaded the 2015 photos into LR from the computer's storage disk, so do I really need to transfer the 2015 folder from the computer drive to the backup drive?

Well that's up to you. It depends on how much space you have on the drive (if you are running low, then maybe you should). But I have this personal opinion that you shouldn't be actually using backups unless something horrible happens to your originals. So I advise you not to use your backups as the primary photos. Really, don't do it, don't use your backups for any purpose other than when something horrible happens. A word to the wise...

Nevertheless, if you do want to make use of the other 2015 folder, or move the originals to somewhere else, you have to point your catalog to it, by following these instructions: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, DJ, but the particular backup drive I was talking about is a desk drive that is the primary backup for data and photos.  All my photos are on that drive, as well as a second portable drive I keep outside the house.  Those photos go back quite a few years and would overload the slave drive in my computer.  Removing the 2015 photos from the computer to those two other drives is no big deal, I just needed to know how to tell LR where they would be.  Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said, if you are calling it a backup, but using it as the primary source, I have a problem with doing that. That really means the only backup is the "outside the house" backup, which can't be updated regularly, and backups should be updated regularly and automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely agree with Dennis. 

As an example, I have a 4 TB drive that gets all of my photos and important documents. I have a 2nd 4TB drive that I back up to at least once a week (or just after a big shoot). I also subscribe to a cloud service incase the house burns down.

Fortunately I've not needed the latter but about 4 months ago I was working away and my main 4TB drive ejected. I plugged it back in and it ejected again after a few minutes. Because I could mout it for a few minutes before it would once again eject itself, I transferred over the few documents that needed to be updated, ordered a new drive, and my backup was ready to re-transfer to the new drive. If I had stored that offsite, I would not have been able to do all that. Offsite is what a cloud service is for. 

For reference sake, my cloud service is Backblaze and I highly recommend them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dennis, but since I've retired "outside the house" is the trunk of my car :).  However, your suggestion to look into a cloud storage facility is certainly one I should investigate.  I already have two that I don't use very often....the Adobe creatuve cloud and another associated with Google docs.  Any thoughts on those?

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, this is Gary here but I can help you on that.

Yes, Adobe CC is a cloud service and Google docs is as well. But they are very different from a storage point of view. Those are where you store specific files. I'm talking about entire drives.

While I have a 2nd 4TB drive to back up the first one, that is to have as a back up if the primary drive fails (which it has). My use of a cloud service is if all drives and computer are gone because of something more tragic such as fire or theft. 

The one I use, BackBlaze, backs up your entire computer (but not applications), and any other device you tell it to. So I have my computer and my primary external drive backed up. I do not have it back up my backup drive as that is redundant. In addition I have a 3rd external drive I use as my Apple Time Machine backup. Again, I do not back that up with BackBlaze as that also would be redundant. 

What I like about BackBlaze is that if you need to recover a small group of files you can download them right from their website. If you have more than what can easily be done via that route, they will send out a 128 MB flash drive to you which you can keep for a nominal charge or send back. If you need to recover a large amount of files or a whole drive, they send you an 8TB drive that you can keep for a nominal charge or send back to them.

I have found their terms to be very reasonable and I've found dealing with them very easy and professional. 

I hope that explains what I do and why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines