Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows: Export opens new Explorer Window every export

Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2020 Feb 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I lately switched back to Windows from Mac (don't want to discuss the reasons here 😉 ) And I found something very annoying in Lightroom for Windows, which works much better on Mac.

If you selected to show the exported files in Finder/Explorer and there is already a window showing the export directory,  it will only pop up the existing window. On Windows, it opens a new Explorer window every time you export files, resultung in hundreds of explorer windows if  you are not careful.

This is really annoying. Is there any way to get around that?

Many thanks in advance.

Alex

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 22, 2020 Feb 22, 2020

Yeah in that options drop down, "After Export:" select Do Nothing.

But on my system, Win 10 Pro LR Classic 9.2, If I select the option to Show in Explorer and export 5-10-whatever number of images I only get ONE Win File Explorer window opening.

So if for some reason you "MUST" have that option checked then after you export, view the new image files in the Explorer window Close it before you do another export. Or Select All of the images you want to export and Export all of them at the same

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 22, 2020 Feb 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah in that options drop down, "After Export:" select Do Nothing.

But on my system, Win 10 Pro LR Classic 9.2, If I select the option to Show in Explorer and export 5-10-whatever number of images I only get ONE Win File Explorer window opening.

So if for some reason you "MUST" have that option checked then after you export, view the new image files in the Explorer window Close it before you do another export. Or Select All of the images you want to export and Export all of them at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but you got my question wrong.

Of course I have that option checked to show the export files after exporting.

On mac, every export the finder window is re-used if it already open. The windows is just pushed to front.
If it is on another virtual desktop, it is switched to the corresponding desktop.

On windows, it clutters my destop with new Explorer Windows every export, so desktop switching also does not happen. Please fix that since it is a really helpful convenience functionality.

Kind regards,

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is likely a windows vs MacOS thing. If I remember correctly, when explorer is called to open a folder, it always opens a new window. Finder upon the same command realizes it is already open and just pushes the already open window to the front. The problem is that many people prefer the first behavior in explorer vs the second and many prefer the second vs the first so unlikely anything will change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines