Workaround for Keyword/Collection Set Sync

New Here ,
Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I'm evaluating Lightroom Desktop so I'm still learning and appreciate your indulgence. I've come to understand through reading various posts here the issue about keywords used in Classic not syncing to the web/mobile version of Lightroom. I don't think there is any need to rehash that here (I side on the gross oversight from Adobe but I get it!). What I'm wondering from the community is if anyone has found a clever workaround or an alternate workflow that achieves the same goal.

My scenario is not professional. I am our family's archivist, so my use of Lightroom would be to use Classic to do all the heavy lifting of indexing/organizing and if I ever get to it, rating and editing photos. The ideal goal here is for me to centrally manage the family photos/scans and then "publish" the database to a web/mobile version that my family can access. Lightroom infrastucture seems to meet that goal the best so far.

I'm neck deep in organizing which overall is really great in Classic but without the keyword sync, it means I'm the only one benefitting from the effort. Ideally, my family members would want to search the database the same way as I would - pictures that include Person X from Place Y during Time Z, etc.

Without keyword sync, I'm putting a lot of effort in Collections. However, I noticed in a test sync that collection sets don't sync either, so if I created a Collection Set like Thanksgivings, inside a Collection Set of Holidays with a Collection of Thanksgiving 2020, the only thing that comes over the sync is the Thanksgiving 2020. This means it will eventually be an endless list of random Collections (reminds me of Google Photo Albums which I hated).

I watch a lot of Lightroom videos but many come from the perspective of professional photographers who don't use/need keywords as much as my scenario.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions. After trying many DAM solutions, I still think the Lightroom suite overall is the best option for me so it's just about finding the right workflow for the maximum benefit.

Thanks everyone!

TOPICS
How to, Sync, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
cmgap LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You  can maintain your same  structure  however do have to create  your 'Folder' (=Collection Set) and drag your  'Album' (= Collection) manually. Once you  set up the heirarchy it's easy to maintain.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more