Highlighted

Workflow Lightroom classic

New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have my master  Lightroom  5.7 catalogue on desktop and a year or so purchased a laptop which I also installed 5.7 .On a few occasions I have merged the laptop catalogue to the desktop master.

i am going to purchase the Photo plan but want to change the way I am working. I want to put the master catalogue on a portable external drive together with all my originals and predominantly load new  originals via laptop and do all my edits from  there rather than load originals via sd card to desktop which I have done mainly in the past. I would then want to copy the catalogue and  new originals back to desk top which in turn gets an auto back up to a desktop back up  drive each evening. So portable drive and desk top remain in sync. Trust that makes sense!

Could you point me to a good step by step tutorial YouTube video or anything else  that would meet my needs?

Many  thanks

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Workflow Lightroom classic

New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have my master  Lightroom  5.7 catalogue on desktop and a year or so purchased a laptop which I also installed 5.7 .On a few occasions I have merged the laptop catalogue to the desktop master.

i am going to purchase the Photo plan but want to change the way I am working. I want to put the master catalogue on a portable external drive together with all my originals and predominantly load new  originals via laptop and do all my edits from  there rather than load originals via sd card to desktop which I have done mainly in the past. I would then want to copy the catalogue and  new originals back to desk top which in turn gets an auto back up to a desktop back up  drive each evening. So portable drive and desk top remain in sync. Trust that makes sense!

Could you point me to a good step by step tutorial YouTube video or anything else  that would meet my needs?

Many  thanks

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
LEGEND ,
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know a good YouTube video on this ... but I would recommend keeping the master catalog and all photos on the external hard disk, which you can transfer back and forth from laptop to desktop computer.

I would also recommend developing a backup plan that does not depend on human action. It should be automatic somehow, if your hardware and software permit. When it is automatic, there's never an issue where the human forgets, or the human is too busy, or the human (like me) just gets lazy; your important documents (photos and catalog and all non-Lightroom important documents) are always backed up on a regular schedule.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Blowers LATEST
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Yes the intention is to keep catalogue and originals  on portable HD. It's the bit in the middle that gives me concern and for me is the weak link which I have yet to fully grasp and need help to understand  -ensuring master catalogue and originals  copied to desktop  are kept in sync with that on the external portable . The back end is fine-everything on my desktop is fully backed up to desktop external hard drive each day.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines