Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Working with two different versions of LR Classic on the same computer

Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

I would like to know if there is any chance to work with two different versions of LR Classic on the same computer (Win 10 or Mac OSX) ?

Indeed, I'm working with LR version 8.4.1 on specifics projects/catalogs and would like to upgrade to the version 9.2 for others projects/catalogs without deleting my older version 8.4.1 !

Do you know if there are some possibilities to work with two LR Classic versions simultaneously on the same machine ?

Thanks for your feedback.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the below article that explains how to change the default imstall settings to retain the older version. It will make an upgrade copy of your LR catalog file, but I believe you can select create new catalog. Reagrdless your current catalog(s) will not be removed or modified, but you will need to use a new or upgraded catalog.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/keep-previous-versions.html

In the Creative Cloud desktop app, click the Update button corresponding to Lightroom Classic.
In the You're Updating To Lightroom Classic dialog, click Advanced Options.
Deselect Remove Old Versions.
Click Update.

The Creative Cloud desktop app installs Lightroom Classic while retaining the previous versions of Lightroom installed on your computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Todd for your feedback !

Unfortunately, I think it was possible with older versions (LR 6) as mentionned in this article. But not with these versions I mentionned (LR 8.4.1 -> LR 9).

Advanced Options are not available as before... 😕 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, you are correct. Used to be a number upgrade (i.e. 7>8>9) allowed the option to retain the older version. Apparently some full-digit updates are now treated as dot (.x) updates, which requires removing the previous version.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/unable-to-change-lightroom-back-to-v8-4-1-aft...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is so unique in 8.4.1 that you feel you would lose if you upgraded? Are you aware that when using Lightroom Classic 9.2.1 it is possible to choose older process versions, thereby enabling you to work with images that were edited with previous versions, and you will have access to the controls that were available to you in those previous versions? From my perspective, there doesn't seem to be a need to retain the older version. However, there might be something I'm missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim,

I well understanf your point of view.

Except I have some roundtrips with others applications out of Adobe that works great with LR 8.4.1 and not with 9.1 or 9.2. It's as simple as that ! ^^
I would love to take benefits from last versions ! But not by loosing what is efficient for me at this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Point well taken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why won't the roundtrips work in 9.2?  It would be rediculous to run 2 versions of Lr if you can fix the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It could work with 9.2 version but with upgrades of all my apps... with what it includes (money, risks of uncompatibility, loss of time in upgrades, ...etc. I frankly don't want it !...) !
So, I don't want to take this risk at this moment and... as Premiere Pro or other Adobe CC Apps, we can run with two different versions at the same time. Why not with LR Classic ? That is the question !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines