• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Write SD card CID file to EXIF data

Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a lot of SD cards with the original DNG files. When I want to find the appropriate card to review the DNG image in Lightroom Classic, I need a way to read from the EXIF data which card to pick. At present I have to read a card at a time to find which one to use. I will try to organise my cards better but the ideal way would be if the SD card's identifiers were recorded in the EXIF data of each image file. This would mean that if I loaded the jpeg file into LR classic I could then read the SD cards ID which I could then relate via a spreadsheet file hat mapped Card IDs to my system of card organisation. I'm sure that other photographers will have a similar need. Adobe please help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not the forum for feature requests.  Adobe doesn't monitor this forum for feature requests.

Please post your request in the appropriate  feature request forum

https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the above post by @AxelMatt this is not the place, forum, space, for asking for Feature Requests. Follow the link in that post.

But I must say I don't understand your question and the need for that option to be added.

When importing your images from the memory cards of your cameras the images should be Copied to one of your hard drives into folders with either Dates as the folder names or with some type of description as the name as to where they were taken and or something that make you remember where and why you took those images.

All of them shouild be available in the LrC Catalog file and on some hard drive that is connected to your system in some way.

If you want to use multiple memory cards (SD type or whatever else) as some type of Backup system of those images that is fine. But all of them should be on a hard drive and then Backed Up to other hard drives.

Hard drives, Hard Drive Space, is much cheaper to buy than SD, CF, Whatever type, of memory cards.

If you are using these, Whatever style, memory cards as your backup plan I wish Good Luck with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firstly, I apologise If I addressed my post to the incorrect community. It wasn’t clear where I should have sent it to. You argue against SD cards as backup sources. My understanding is that the DNG file on the card is the original file – any copies that I make from that card is a backup. If I were to recycle my SD cards after use , to store all my DNG files on my desktop 1TB data drive and if that were to fail I would lose all my DNG images at once. I have had an SD card fail on me once – I have suffered two desktop hard drive write offs. I also lost all the data stored on one external hard drive. I don’t trust cloud storage for anything as precious and irreplaceable as my entire DNG collection. I am unlikely to lose ALL my SD cards at once. Fortunately I have four external drives which I cycle monthly. I use my desktop hard drive to store JPEGs only. JPEGs, by there nature are hard baked highly compressed files and less suitable than the DNG files for any subsequent processing. Finally, my 1TB hard drive, if used for nothing else but DNG files , jpeg copies exported from LRC and LRC catalogue files @SaY 50MB total per image would store up to 10,000 images – but that would leave room on the drive for nothing else. I currently hold more than 5000 jpeg images on the drive. Given all the above, I still intend to store my original DNG images on SD cards – I just need a better way of finding my way to the relevant card – and this would be easy if the EXIF data held the SD card serial number.
I’m sorry if Adobe can’t or won’t help with my problem – though I suspect that it’s not just my problem.
Regards,
Gerald Murphy
Sent fromFirstly Mail for Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you ever heard of External Drives? Real Hard Drives, rotating, or Solid State (SSDs) type?

Those can hold Multiple Terabytes of data in one package

They usually connect by a USB port on your computer and can be used for Storing your image files and LrC can access them Directly. Then a second and third external drive can be used to Back Up all those original DNG files that are on the First External drive. Then you can recycle the SD cards.

Having multiple copies of all your important files is the only way to make sure none of it is lost.

Redundancy is the only way to make sure you don't lose your data.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SD cards are not a viable backup media, those cards will fail one day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LrC does not show all Metadata. You would need a third party exif reader like Exif Viewer, or, perhaps for your workflow a plug-in fir LrC such as Jeffrey’s “Metadata Viewer"

http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/metadata-viewer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines