Highlighted

XMP files being written despite catalog settings

Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac High Sierra. LRC 9.4. Despite my Catalog Settings--unchecked "automatically write to xmp", xmp files are indeed being created. Data is also stored in the catalog, as I can delete the xmp without consequence. Just started aftern update.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Just Shoot Me | Adobe Community Professional

If you are SAVING Metadata, Command + s or Ctrl + s or usaing the menu options, then XMP files are created for RAW files. Only DNG, JPG, TIF, PS and maybe PNG does the saving of metedata get saved to a section of those actual files.

Topics

Bug, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

XMP files being written despite catalog settings

Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac High Sierra. LRC 9.4. Despite my Catalog Settings--unchecked "automatically write to xmp", xmp files are indeed being created. Data is also stored in the catalog, as I can delete the xmp without consequence. Just started aftern update.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Just Shoot Me | Adobe Community Professional

If you are SAVING Metadata, Command + s or Ctrl + s or usaing the menu options, then XMP files are created for RAW files. Only DNG, JPG, TIF, PS and maybe PNG does the saving of metedata get saved to a section of those actual files.

Topics

Bug, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Data are always stored in the catalog, regardless of whether Lightroom saves them to XMP or not. Maybe you should try to reset the preferences: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

-- Johan W. Elzenga, http://www.johanfoto.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screen shot of the LrC Catalog Settings dialog window with the Metadata tab being shown.

Do you use any otehr RAW converter and or editor? Even Adobe Camera RAW plugin?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 4.51.13 PM.png

Thanks guys. I'll try resetting prefs.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may have screwed up. My files are all Nikon Raw files, and I believed that metadata created in LRC was saved to those files as they would be with JPG's. Now I've seen the LRC warning about sidecar files being created when saving metadata for Raw files....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines