• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

XMP files not generated

Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to export some of the edited files to other applications eg Apple Photos.

In the Catalog Setting I have selected "Automatically write xhanges into XMP"....

but ... no XMP is ever generated... not when I edit, not when I explicitly go to the image and select "Save Metadata to File" etc etc

Any idea please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the file type is DNG, Tiff, PSD or Jpg, XMP data will be written to the header of the file, and there will not be a separate XMP file. You only get separate XMP files with proprietary raw formats, like NEF, CR2, RAF, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the reply

Yep... that is what is in the message displayed by Adobe... BUT then how can you export a file to other Apps?.... there MUST be a way that adobe writes XMP files ... 

What I want is that the edits done in Lightroom are *visible* in eg Photos when file is exported....

Not possible apparently unless I export a JEPG...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having an xmp sidecar file applies to camera native raw files only. As Per states xmp is written to the header section of other files like TIFF, JPEG, DNG.. it is there just not as a sidecar.

Exporting for use in say Photos it would be best to export as JPEG or TIFF depending on the purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XMP is only written to the original files, not to exported files. Also, it's a proprietary Adobe format, and may not be understood by other applications. It looks like you're exporting as Original, which will export the original, unedited file.

For edits to be included, use any other option than Original. If the image will be edited in the other application, use Tiff or PSD.

You can also set up external editors in Preferences > External Editing, and then use Edit in instead of Export.

If you simply want to look at the images in Photos (screen viewing, no editing or printing), export jpgs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

DNG was written by Adobe but it was released as an open sourced format. This was done to try and shake camera manufacturers as an alternative to their secret sauce formats that are very proprietary. Adobe has to reverse engineer each of these closed format to make them work in Adobe applications. 

Some companies do use the DNG format, Silverfast scanning software uses it in their HDR software to collect all of the scanning information in the file so that subsequent scanning is not necessary. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines