• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

XMP files

Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am using 2 separate discs, one for working (A) and another one which is a backup (B).

A and B are stricly identical, they have the same name, the same folders and files. Whenever I plug A or B, my LR catalog does not see the difference between the two and recognize them instantly.

However, when I say that A and B and striclty identical it's not entirely true.

The xmp files of A and B are different, while the ones of A are up-to-date, the ones of B are only the ones from the latest backup.

My question is the following: if I plug B to LR, will my catalog automatically update the xmp files to the ones it has in "memory" hence the ones of A, or will it keep it to the one of B ?

I hope I was clear enough...

Thanks for your help !

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Yes, that's clear, and I wouldn't bother doing this. If one disk is intended to be a backup of your photo files, and you also have backups of your catalog file, then the XMP files aren't needed on the backup disk. The combination of backups of the photo file and backups of the catalog files are all you need. I would take one of those disks, and never ever ever use it, not even once (don't even think about using it), except for the case where you update the backups, or in the unfortunate situatio

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's clear, and I wouldn't bother doing this. If one disk is intended to be a backup of your photo files, and you also have backups of your catalog file, then the XMP files aren't needed on the backup disk. The combination of backups of the photo file and backups of the catalog files are all you need. I would take one of those disks, and never ever ever use it, not even once (don't even think about using it), except for the case where you update the backups, or in the unfortunate situation where your originals are no longer available (and in that case, the XMP files can still be generated by Lightroom).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer. I'm not a native English speaker, just want to ensure I understood well: so, I shouldn't bother about xmp files of my backup disc and only keep copy raw files on it. If I need to use the latter (in case of an unfortunate event), my catalog will automatically update the xmp files when connecting.

Thank's again for your help !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in case you missed this part of my earlier reply

"so, I shouldn't bother about xmp files of my backup disc and only keep copy raw files on it."

you need backups of the raw files and backups of the catalog file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2024 Jan 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Puedes actualizar la carpeta B con la A, a través del programa FreeFileSync.
Es un programa fantástico que permite sincronizar las carpetas A y B, para que sean iguales.
Incluso tiene filtros por tipos de archivo, de modo que puedes indicar al programa que sólamente actualice los archivos con extensión .xmp
Desde que descubrí éste programa, sólo utilizo éste software para realizar copias de seguridad.
Es infalible y te hace copias idénticas de los archivos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines