Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System info:

Macbook Pro 2017 15" 2.9 GHz 1TB SSD 16GB RAM

macOS 10.13.4

Lightroom Classic CC 8.2.1

Camera RAW 11.2.1

Sometimes when I click to zoom in Lightroom it zooms back out without me clicking again. Sometimes it doesn't.  It's really annoying and affects my workflow.

I recently updated to version 8.2.1 however this bug has persisted for several versions.  It persists after preference resets (which was what Adobe support said to do to try to resolve it).

Made a screen capture that shows the behavior.  Sometimes it doesn't do it so I click to zoom out again. Other times I click and it zooms in and back out without an additional click seen in the following video (look for click symbols in video).

https://youtu.be/KcYdoVlKCw0

Any ideas on how to eliminate this issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This could be a feature of the trackpad sensitivity or some other option for the trackpad.

It is not LR doing it. It is LR responding to the trackpad input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's an interesting point - hadn't considered that.

I am using my laptop like a desktop so I basically do not touch it at all when I'm working. I use an Apple Magic TrackPad and Apple wireless keyboard and a Logitech M585 mouse. In the video posted I was clicking with the M585. I use it much more than the TrackPad even though they are both connected.

Would I notice an issue in other applications if the issue is coming from the mouse as you are suggesting? As of this time I have not had any issues with any of the above listed devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested this with a Logitech MX anywhere 2 mouse. I would think it would be the same for all pointing devices.

If I quickly Click the left mouse button I get Zoomed in. A second click zooms me back out.

If I Click and HOLD, even for a very short period of time (less than a second), when I release the Click I get zoomed back out.

So maybe you are not releasing the mouse button fast enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK you're right on this.Had no idea that thee was a click and hold functionality to zooming in. I must be passing the threshold for a click vs a click-and-hold inadvertently.

Wonder if there are any settings to turn this click-and-hold functionality off or to adjust the time that it kicks in.  If you have any info on this, let me know.  Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2019 Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

aeterno33  wrote

OK you're right on this.Had no idea that thee was a click and hold functionality to zooming in. I must be passing the threshold for a click vs a click-and-hold inadvertently.

Wonder if there are any settings to turn this click-and-hold functionality off or to adjust the time that it kicks in.  If you have any info on this, let me know.  Thank you for your help.

No it is actually a Feature of LR. If you Click + Hold it zooms in and you can move the image around with the mouse (hand cursor appears), to see what you are looking for, then when releasing the mouse button it goes back to normal view.

No need to do a second click or Click once then Click + hold to move the image around and then let go and another click to take you back to normal view again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's an odd feature. I will feature request a toggle for it as it drives me crazy.

Is it possible to turn this thread into a feature request?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

aeterno33  wrote

That's an odd feature. I will feature request a toggle for it as it drives me crazy.

Is it possible to turn this thread into a feature request?

Not, IMHO, an Odd feature at all.

Maybe because you are from the Mac world and I'm from the Windows world but to make anything open or run a program you must Double Click. To make that work you have to be fairly fast with the double click. So for me a single click is just that, Click>release in  one motion. Like tapping your finger on something. Not Click > Hold then release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am coming back to this thread because, unless there is something wrong with my mouse (and I haven't noticed any other issues other than in LR), I am definitely not clicking too long and still experience this issue.  I messed around with the click and hold feature and understand the difference in clicks. Lightroom is grabbing my quick clicks as click and hold. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the mouse and trackpad settings.

I find that if I hold the click just long enough for the image to Start to Zoom in that it zooms back out when that click is released.

There is no other settings in LR, that I can find, to either enable or disable this feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will do.  Thanks again for your efforts here. 

I am still convinced that having a setting to turn the click & hold zoom feature off would make sense. Where would I go to add this as a feature request?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 25, 2019 May 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still having issues with both my mouse and trackpad. Changed double-click settings on macOS, replaced batteries in peripherals, definitely not holding too long. Still extremely annoying. Feature request: disable click and hold zoom!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 25, 2019 May 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you have the Logitech mouse button double-click issue due to a faulty left button switch. I just had this issue with a Logitech M500 mouse. Here's what Logitech Support told me to do before honoring the three year warranty. My response is in CAPS.

If you don't pass all of these steps except #5 (bogus trick question) you have a bad mouse–No cheese for him! Mine is on it's way via UPS as we speak no charge under warranty.

1. Re-seat to another USB port. Bypass the use of KVM switch boxes, port replicators, docking stations, and USB hubs if any SAME BEHAVIOR

2. Prefer using USB 2.0 rather than USB 3.0 ports. SAME BEHAVIOR

3. Adjust double-click sensitivity in the Mouse Properties > Buttons tab > Double-click speed (In Mac OS X: System Preferences > Mouse > Double-Click Speed) SAME BEHAVIOR

4. Tick the "Double-click to open an item" in the Folder Options section of Windows: https://support.logitech.com/en_us/article/23125 ALREADY CHECKED

5. Swap the primary and secondary click function for testing (For Windows: Mouse Properties > Buttons tab > Button Configuration | For Mac: System Preferences > Mouse > Primary Mouse Button) THIS APPEARS TO WORK PROPERLY, BUT I WANT NORMAL L&R BUTTONS. IT ALSO INDICATES SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THE LEFT BUTTON SWITCH.

6. For further testing, uninstall Logitech Setpoint and other third-party applications which is capable of configuring mouse actions (MS Intellipoint, SteerMouse, USB Overdrive, etc.) SAME BEHAVIOR AFTER UNINSTALLING SETPOINT. NO OTHER MOUSE SOFTWARE IS INSTALLED

7. Clean the left-click button with a compressed can of air (optional) SAME BEHAVIOR

8. Test the mouse on another PC (if available) SAME BEHAVIOR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 26, 2019 May 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Todd, Thanks for this info.

Unfortunately it happens on my Apple Magic TrackPad as well suggesting that it's not the mouse.

Could it be that the laptop is laggy to receive the bluetooth info from the peripherals? I am not connected to my laptop via USB on my Logitech out of necessity, not choice - a result of issues with USB-C compatibility with this mouse (doesn't even work with any of my dongles or adapters!) - so testing it in many of the steps suggested isn't viable.

Maybe it's time to find a hardwired USB-C mouse (do those even exist??) to further troubleshoot...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 26, 2019 May 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you simply are not clicking fast enough.

I'm old, in my 68 year, and do not have this problem on either of my 2 Windows systems or my iMac with either a mouse or the apple wireless track pad.

Really don't know what to tell you other than what is above. I have never seen any other posts about this.

In fact if it wasn't for your your post and my testing I would of never known you can Click + Hold . move the image around and when you let go of the click/hold the zoom goes away. And I've been using LR for over 10 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 01, 2019 Jun 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please view the following video (I would have shared it earlier but I forgot I made it until now). I suggest having sound turned up so you can hear my mouse clicks.  They are normal/fast enough for every other program I use regularly including several other Adobe programs. You can also see the mouse clicks as I had that indicator turned on in the screen recording.  The video doesn't include my Magic TrackPad, but I can make another video with that if needed - just let me know if that would be helpful.

Lightroom Classic CC Zoom Problem - YouTube

Notice between 4-6 seconds I click once and the photo zooms in and then out.  Same thing happens between 24-27 seconds. There is something wrong with how Lightroom is functioning and whether or not that originates in the program, I am not sure, which is why I am here asking for advice.

If it is not originating in Lightroom, then it must not be affecting my use in other programs. That is definitely a possibility but I am trying to for sure weed out whether or not this is an issue with Lightroom or something else. It is very distracting and slows my workflow. It's a very stupid, small thing, but it drives me crazy and I would really like to fix it.

Of course, the other possibility, as you mentioned, is that I just don't know how to use a mouse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed a circle around your cursor when you click that does NOT happen on my system. Your problem is in your system and not LR.

Could be mouse software and or some other add-on software you have installed.

Funny that no other user is reporting this problem. So as I said it is in/on your specific system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also see the mouse clicks as I had that indicator turned on in the screen recording.

The circle around my cursor is a feature of QuickTime Player. QT gives you the option to add that feature when screen recording. It is not something that shows up on my screen ever. It only shows up in my screen recordings when I tell QuickTime to do so. It is meant to help others see where I am clicking and when. It is commonly used for things like YouTube tutorials and troubleshooting. I included it in the video to show when I am clicking. That with the audio should be sufficient to show that I am indeed clicking correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So now that we have that cleared that up... why, when I click, do I experience a zoom in & immediate zoom out? Why do I see the "hand grab" icon (seen in the above linked video) rather than the open hand icon occasionally when I click quickly? [PROVE that I am clicking incorrectly or don't even bring that up as a possibility. I've been using computers 85% of my life and Macs for the last decade.]

Yes this COULD be exclusively originating from my "system" before the click gets to Lightroom (finger-->click-->Logitech M585--> Bluetooth connection --> MacBook Pro 2017 15" 2.9 GHz; macOS 10.13.4 --> Lightroom 8.3.1 --> zoompocalypse), but how do I KNOW that? I am not opposed to that suggestion, but I need details to understand what is actually the issue so I can correct it. The fact is that I am still experiencing this issue and I think the purpose of this forum is to help users of Lightroom solve their problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried a wired, USB, mouse or even one that is NOT Bluetooth. Or even just a different mouse?

I use Logitech Anywhere 2 mice without this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. Will have to buy one... I'll try wired and report back if you think that is the best way to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 02, 2019 Jun 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had similar issues with two different wireless Bluetooth mice and finally gave up. If a wired USB mouse doesn't exhibit the issue then you know it's not LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 08, 2019 Jun 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still an issue with new wired USB C mouse (Verbatim Mini Travel Mouse Model: 99235)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 25, 2019 Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As this has still not been resolved I will reiterate that a toggle to turn off the click-and-hold zoom option would be a very useful feature in future versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines