Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Desktop: Syncing Issues when Originals are stored on a NAS

LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2019 Mar 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rikk,
besides the outage, I am trying to sync my cloud stored data since several weeks on my NAS (Synology), connected via Gigabit Ethernet. in the beginning it works fine but after 10.000 pictures and movies its not going further (I have about 35.000) and plenty of storage. LR freezes, have to start again then additional 2-3 pictures are synced, that's it. Also I can't use LR since then (open pictures, look into people etc.), when I disconnect the NAS I can work, but not sync. Dont understand why this is not a background task and does LR really look up local backuped NAS Data when I work on data (should only be a backup?). Its frustrating, as this would be the major advantage of the solution?? Any Idea?Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Lightroom CC: Mobile syncs but desktop app doesn't.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Greetings,

Updates for the Adobe Photography Products were officially released on 10.20.2020 that include fixes for this issue. Please install the most recent update and confirm that your issue is now fixed. Please let us know if you encounter any issues.

Thank you for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 127 Replies 127
127 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam@mmg: After 24 hours of use, I’ve noticed it takes about 20 seconds for Lightroom to fully launch (wheel spins for a bit). Previously with my USB drive setup it was almost instantaneous. After launch, I haven’t noticed significant performance delays. Note that I haven’t done much heavy editing yet, and a majority of my images are JPG as opposed to RAW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And regarding file access on the Synology it is only visible when the iSCSI Target is mounted (not within the normal Synology interface).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 19, 2020 Jan 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for you report. Currently I use the Synology NAS with Shared Services over SMB. There is already a shared service drive with all images copied manually. If I create an iSCSI "drive", do I have to format/delete parts of the NAS? After creating an iSCSI "drive" I could manually copy all images from the SMB drive. Or I let Lightroom do the work from zero. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with my synology NAS.  Just chatted and was told that LR does not support using NAS.  I must switch to an internal or external hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That information is not correct. 

I have my Lightroom originals on a NAS and do not have any issues.  Not everyone experiences the issues mentioned in this thread which why we are investigating it as a bug. That said, we still are unable to reproduce this issue. 

If you have a case number from your chat, I would love to review it. 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, after some initial problems, probably not related to the NAS, all is working fine since over a year now. The only issue is the speed of Lightroom CC Desktop, which is much slower than the Lightroom Classic on the same PC, the same network (1GB/s) and the same NAS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk, thanks for your quick reply.  I didn't save the chat, however, I received this e-mail shortly after my chat ended so hopefully this is it.
  • Case Number: ADB-12225254-X7K2 
  • Issue:  Performance 
Given that this does seem to be a known issue experienced by multiple users I have decided to switch to an external hard drive for the time being.  However, the better solution for me would be to use my NAS for its intended purpose.  My LR library is in the process of being rebuilt and I am importing with the new external hard drive location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is iSCSI still the only way to get Lightroom running with Catalina?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm facing the same problem more than 1 year now. And this is not a problem related to synology NAS as I've had this issue with my previous NAS that was just a Linux computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk, there seems to be variations of a basic problem, and I would like confirmation that my problem is the same.  I work on a PC (Windows 10) and my local storage for Lightroom Desktop is a Synology NAS.  I have about 35K items in Lightroom.  Most are jpg or CR2 photos, TIF scanned photos/35mm slides, and around 400 videos.  After loading new pictures into Lightroom, they sync very quickly (100 new images are processed in less than 10 to 15 minutes). My problem is syncing always fails to advance below 9 images.  This has been occurring ever since I migrated my photos from Lightroom Classic about 2 months ago.  When I filter on SyncStatus = Syncing, I get the "Oh no! A black hole." screen, but the Cloud status indicates "Syncing 9 photos." I would like to know if this is the same problem that is being worked by Adobe support or do I have to do something different to have someone work on it.  Thanks for your attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't sound related to the thread.  It sounds like you have nine images that are stuck.  Check for assets in your Deleted Items first and see if you can clear anything there. 

Next, go to https://lightroom.adobe.com and see if you have any images in the special album called Sync Errors (upper left):  The black thumbnails, if any, will advise you on steps to take from there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the conclusion I came to, too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And here come new problems. After some issue with accessing shared folder (not sure what it was, I had to remove and map again the network drive). Lightroom was showing message that the folder is not accessible. After fixing it Lightroom now is checking photos with below dialog box and nothing moves even after hour of waiting. How to fix that?
NAS folder works all ok, no degradation in performance whatsoever. Original photos are where they were. Never had such issues with Lightroom Classic. Was able to disconnect network drive, move it around etc. all was updating super fast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: I was not able to make it work in any other way than resetting the local storage to default. After that the Lightroom has shown a message that the folder in which I've had originals is not accessible (not correct - access worked ok), I've removed this folder on that message and reconfigured it again. Lightroom is now synchronizing all photos again (but seems it is not copying them over again). Let's see how it goes (55k photos to go, 5k done).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update 2: After over 5 hours of processing the Lightroom has synchronized the catalog. Took a bit of time and bandwidth for no reason but luckily all works afterwards. Hope this does not happen too often but to me it is clearly a bug in Lightroom software...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 18, 2020 Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having the same issue; have there been any updates on a path to resolution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

Updates for the Adobe Photography Products were officially released on 10.20.2020 that include fixes for this issue. Please install the most recent update and confirm that your issue is now fixed. Please let us know if you encounter any issues.

Thank you for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had Lightroom open for the past 9hrs as I can't seem to shut it down. Force quit is not working and I cannot shut my computer properly without shutting down Lightroom first.

I have also attempted to move the local storage, delete the library and change the setting for the Graphics Processor.

The weird thing is, that is working fine on web - I was able to download my last edits and delete images, but the application on the computer doesn't seem to update the changes.

I just keep seeing a loading circle, which freezes sometimes, and then starts again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk The issue comes back again in a bit different form. I had to reinstall my PC and all software, including Lightroom. So I have a fresh new install of latest version of the Lightroom Desktop. I've configured it to store all originals on the same NAS folder, mapped to a drive on my PC and trying to synchronize it. After already almost 24 hours the library of ~60k images can't get synchronized, it stops after processing a few hundred images (in the first run it has synchronized over 10k images) but now even after restart it does not synchronize anymore. It starts sunchronizing when I open an album, some of albums get synced completely, some only partially and synchronization stops. When I move to another album it starts synchronizing again. 

Overall, the process is terribly slow, looks like Lightroom is downloading entire photos from the cloud as the app is downloading at 100-150Mb/s, even when there is no progress in synchronization.

The NAS storage and synchronization with the catalog is still far from optimal. It is so much better in the ancient Lightroom Classic 6.0 which I still use for printing... When I move folders in Classic the synchronization takes seconds, not hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk 

A small observation. Seems that the synchronization gets stuck on video files, even smallest ones e.g. 5sec long. When I add a star to such video it gets processed and the synchronization resumes until next video file is reached.

I have now added a star to all my videos and synchronization continues. Let's see for how long... 49k files to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has now been synchronizing for 4 hours, with average download speed of 120Mb/s it has downloaded already over 200GB of data and only 4000 photos have been processed. My entire library of 60k images occupies ~500GB so it would download 40% of it and not just 7%.

There is something terribly wrong with the synchronization process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've forwarded this info to Engineering - 

I won't change the status on this thread however as the OP's original issue was marked fixed and this is likely different. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Thanks! Should I open a new issue? In the meantime I have a few more observations:
1. Synchronization continues only for an image in focus, in both grid and detail views, for example if I filter "syncing" photos only.
2. Sync stops if a given photo can't be synchronized. For some it resumes if I add a star or flag to the photo, for some even this does not help.
3. those photos that can't be synced stay in "downloading" status forever but there are no error messages (see image below)
Now it is almost 24 hours and ~15k photos have been synchronized

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more observation. Synchronization fails for the following case:

- an image exists and has been synchronized

- an image exists with exactly the same name as the previous one but for example a smaller size and in different folder - this fails to synchronize.

I have quite a few such cases and seems that they all fail to sync on the duplicate (just name) of the image. This has not happened before and I have re-synchronized entire library in the past a few times successfully. Was always much faster than now.

Votes

Translate

Translate