Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Desktop: Syncing Issues when Originals are stored on a NAS

LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2019 Mar 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rikk,
besides the outage, I am trying to sync my cloud stored data since several weeks on my NAS (Synology), connected via Gigabit Ethernet. in the beginning it works fine but after 10.000 pictures and movies its not going further (I have about 35.000) and plenty of storage. LR freezes, have to start again then additional 2-3 pictures are synced, that's it. Also I can't use LR since then (open pictures, look into people etc.), when I disconnect the NAS I can work, but not sync. Dont understand why this is not a background task and does LR really look up local backuped NAS Data when I work on data (should only be a backup?). Its frustrating, as this would be the major advantage of the solution?? Any Idea?Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Lightroom CC: Mobile syncs but desktop app doesn't.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Greetings,

Updates for the Adobe Photography Products were officially released on 10.20.2020 that include fixes for this issue. Please install the most recent update and confirm that your issue is now fixed. Please let us know if you encounter any issues.

Thank you for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 127 Replies 127
127 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephan we need to get a diagnostic log from you to further investigate your issue.  
Go to Preferences>Account and hold down the [Opt/Alt] key. Click the [Diagnostic Log] button and send the resulting log to:
(email removed)
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 26, 2019 Mar 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am moving this thread to In-progress. We've opened an issue with the engineering team to track this though we haven't yet reproduced this internally. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2019 Apr 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on this? I have almost 49 thousands pics and I really can't say what is real sync status. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 24, 2019 Apr 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happened Here? This thread is very old. Was the issue solved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 24, 2019 Apr 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For that, I have some different information which will be fine for all. So for that you just so one thing see some technical review and from there you will get it properly. 

Canon Error code 1660

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 25, 2019 Apr 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see my comment from 4 weeks ago. When the status changes we will update this thread. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 28, 2019 Apr 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same issue when trying to save all originals to my network folder (windows).  I'll send along my diagnostic log as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 29, 2019 Apr 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the diagnostic log never completes.  It just gets stuck in the same way that the sync gets stuck.  Is it possible to grab the log somewhere even if it's incomplete?  Would that be useful?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgive me for asking but I’ve read the OPs question and am trying to understand just what is being synced and what is being stored and where?

On my setup here, I have some 30,000 plus images. I import new images via iPad, iPhone or the Desktop into ‘the cloud’. The Library is stored on the main drive, and I have the settings set to store originals on another internal drive used only for that purpose.
It doesn’t seem to matter where the originals are imported from, they end up in the storage location as well as in the cloud.
When I first set it all up it took forever to sync all the images, but now it’s fine.
So what I’m trying to understand from Stephens question is just what is being synced that involves the NAS. If the NAS is just storage for the originals, then it won’t need syncing will it? They get stored there as originals on import. I’m assuming? As well as going to the cloud.
Or have I misunderstood this whole thing.?

But also... if you are trying to sync a lot of images to the cloud at the same time, that probable won’t work. For some reason the link to Adobe seems to be very poor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you Mac of Windows, Matthew?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting your Preference to store Originals on the NAS tells it to store images being actively used by Lightroom CC on the NAS. This includes images yet to be synced to the cloud and images being pulled back down for editing, exporting, sending to Photoshop, etc.  It also includes Albums where you've set the album to Store Album Locally. 

Note that it is not a separate backup of your images. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you see this file? ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom CC/lrcc_console.log

If so, Zip that and email it to me please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont have any log files on my machine that are similar to that name

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to get one to complete: DiagnosticLog.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 30, 2019 Apr 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't think LRCC used the Originals for editing? 

This is where I've stored a copy of my originals. According to Preferences - > Local Storage.
Nothing in there gets edited, modified or otherwise altered. Just stored.

I have them stored in Date order, and these are the last imports, stored as backups in that location.

All images are stored in the Cloud, from where they are pulled to be worked on, modified or retouched. via Smart Previews. They are then available to all my devices. iPad, iPhone, and Desktop. 
If I need to revert to the original - it is pulled from the Cloud, not local storage.
If I Save the modified image, it is saved to the Cloud as a smart preview, or I can Export it as a new file entirely.
When I import new images, from any of my devices, they are immediately stored up in the Cloud and I can check this by going to the web interface, but they are also stored in the above location at the same time and left there. Becoming effectively a 'backup'

In the Cloud, via lightroom.adobe.com the images and structure are exactly the same as on my Desktop and devices.

Cloud (Web) base

Desktop base

As I mentioned in passing previously when I first imported all my images 43,854 of them, into Lightroom CC I originally had them in LRClassic. I also had them stored as originals on a spare drive. The import from LRClassic simply wouldn't work properly. Big mess.
So I cleaned out LRCC, and reset it to 0. Carefully set up Preferences as you see, with the Originals stored on an Internal drive used only for that purpose.
I then began the Import from the other image file repository. So the images were imported to LRCC, sent to the Cloud - I have a Fibre Optic connection the Internet, and stored locally at the same time in the designated storage location.
The Import and Sync process took about a week to complete. Beware Adobe's pathetic Cloud/internet link.
Even then, there ended up some six I think images that simply would not sync. They just sat there. On them, I gave up. I have no idea what happened to them in the end, because now some two months later everything seems to run smoothly.

Now, if the original posters Local Storage of Original Copies are on a NAS drive, it shouldn't make a blind bit of difference.
Unless there are Spaces somewhere in the Pathname to the folder on the NAS. That shouldn't matter - but sometimes it does.
That's the whole idea of LightroomCC. You can work on your images from anywhere, as everything is stored in the Cloud. That's what I understand anyway? It works for me.
Just out of curiosity - if the OP doesn't have that log file in
 ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom CC/
then there is probably something wrong somewhere else. The file lrcc_console.log should be there. Don't forget the tilde at the start of the path.

My apologies if I'm interrupting - but I find this interesting. because I've seen something somewhere else about NAS problems... 

and ... maybe the OP doesn't have enough Cloud storage? or a fast internet connection. Not that that matters because Adobe's isn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I didn't think LRCC used the Originals for editing? This is where I've stored a copy of my originals. According to Preferences - > Local Storage. Nothing in there gets edited, modified or otherwise altered. Just stored.

Stored... and read when you start editing or zoom to 1:1. And new photos added to there, or removed when deleted.

> All images are stored in the Cloud, from where they are pulled to be worked on, modified or retouched.

If there's a local original available, as there is in this case, Lightroom will use the local copy, because it's faster than downloading from the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, yes. You reminded me. But the original doesn’t get modified. Just a working copy of it. Which is kept in the catalog.
However. In the OPs case that shouldn’t have any effect on the ability to sync a collection if the originals are stored on a NAS Drive I’d have thought? Unless maybe the NAS is in sleep mode or some other idle state?
???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> In the OPs case that shouldn’t have any effect on the ability to sync a collection if the originals are stored on a NAS Drive I’d have thought? Unless maybe the NAS is in sleep mode or some other idle state?

Yep, it should be "just another storage location" just as if it's an external drive, although they can suffer from LAN connection issues with the amount of data being passed not only up to the cloud but also across the local network to the NAS, and there's an extra layer of NAS software in the mix too. There seems to be a pattern here worth investigating, as sync shouldn't just fail, even if it were to be slower.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Send the resulting log to:
(email removed)

You cannot attach it to a forum post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Matthew - can you go to Help>System Info... and reply with your exact installed Lightroom Version number?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC version: 2.2.1 [ 20190312-1546-e438717 ] (Mar 13 2019)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk, I hope you received my email yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 01, 2019 May 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you get me a screenshot of your ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom CC/ folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 31, 2019 May 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings to all on this thread. I have been thus far unable to duplicate this issue. Is anyone still experiencing this since the 2.3 update?

Votes

Translate

Translate