Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Desktop: Creating Duplicates Upon Saving

LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2018 Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hoping this makes sense!

Almost every time I export/save photos from CC, the program will begin the process, then stop halfway through and restart... which then duplicates the file.

For example, I tried exporting an album of 80 high res images yesterday afternoon, which I walked away from...and four hours later,came back to the program STILL exporting, and I had SEVEN copies of about 3/4ths of the images from the album.

If its user error, for the love of goodness, please correct me.
If its a problem with CC, how would I go about fixing it? I've switched computers, uninstalled and reinstalled and restarted my computer.... nothing seems to fix it!

Please help! Exporting weddings is a frikin NIGHTMARE.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Greetings,

Updates to the Adobe Photography Products were released yesterday and include a fix for this issue. Please install the December update, restart your system and verify that you are no longer experiencing the issue.

Thank you for your assistance in reporting, providing additional information and, most of all, for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Greetings,

Updates for the Adobe Photography Products were officially released on 10.20.2020 that include fixes for this issue. Please install the most recent update and confirm that your issue is now fixed. Please let us know if you encounter any issues.

Thank you for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate
70 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2018 Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen this behvior as well.  Lightroom has been creating 'ghosts' of .dngfiles since LR 7.5 and this bug was submiited to the development team (or so I was told).  Deleting the duplicates deleted all of the .dngs  from the catalog, but not the hard drive.  One then had to reimport the .dngsto have them back in the catalog.

Now in LR 8.1, I can delete only the extras and the correct .dngremains.  Unfortunately, LR now creates at least two (2) duplicates every time upon both inporting AND exporting.

Reinstalling will serve no purpose...it's a bug inthe program, not your installation, and it is a PITA.  I spent eight (8) hours yesterday undoing all of the crap LR created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 24, 2018 Dec 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alethia, 

You've tagged this as a Lightroom CC issue but I suspect you are actually using Lightroom Classic CC. Can you go to Help>System Info... and get us your installed version number?
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 06, 2019 Jan 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC version: 2.0.2 [ 20181023-1325-d74082d ] (Oct 23 2018)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 06, 2019 Jan 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its definitely Lightroom CC. I made the switch from Classic to CC at the beginning of this year, and then reinstalled it on my new computer in October.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming.  Are you aware that 2.1.1 was released in December?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 30, 2019 Aug 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same issue and this is a huge issue - please tell me this bug has been corrected? I have a massive wedding to export and am currently unable to do so. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 30, 2019 Aug 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It became far less, but still occasionally does it for me.
I found that exporting in smaller chunks seems to help. At the very least it’s easier to catch before your computer sits for 36 hours exporting the same 700 photos 7 times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does it occasionally for me, but tonight it made SEVEN copies of every photo and I'm trying not to throw the computer put the window. Don't have time for this during wedding peak season

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rikk. This just happened to me with Lr CC 3.1. During export I just noticed the progress bar has a lower progress then the last time i took a look at it. In the destination folder many images are 4 times (with *-2.jpg, *-3.jpg and *-4.jpg file names), so the export procedure did reset 3 times since I noticed that and cancelled export. Dunno what to do now. Here is the log though.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsgF9JUMzDPSjMZukcN-k8pMuWDWBQ?e=f00ELt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I tried again with the same result. This time I kept it running and it finished after all with three duplicates (four files per image - original and three other duplicates). Interesting is that not all of them were duplicated and some of them were duplicated three tomes, some of them twice, some once...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem is absolutely ridiculous. I even had someone from Adobe trying to help and never had any type of resolution. The *only* thing I have managed to do was turn my wifi off while exporting, which allows me to export low-res versions without duplicates. It is so frustrating and cannot believe it's still not fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am kind of surprised this is not being processed, I believe Rikk just missed this topic. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Engineering is evaluating the reports - we have not been able to reproduce so far on our end. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 23, 2020 Feb 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens ALL THE TIME! Why are we paying a monthly subscription if this problem that clearly other people are experiencing isn't even being acknowledged? And what's worse is that the exporting process is already excruciatingly slow to begin with...now to stop and restart the process over and over again? This is ridiculous. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chantelle, 

We are still unable to reproduce this on our side.  Can you give us your step by step, detailed instructions to reproduce so we can attempt with your workflow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We did make a fix in 3.2 (launched Feb. 10) that may help here. If you have updated to 3.2 and are still seeing this, please let us know:
  • How many files are you trying to export?
  • When you see this, is the export batch running long enough for the computer to go to sleep midstream?
  • Are you on Mac or Win?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, exporting 160 files, only 127 are finally exported, some of them has 2 or 3 copies. Exporting process gets stuck. It does it every time, when I try to export multiple files.

Using latest Lr version on Mac OS 10.15.3, exporting to jpg, 90%, original size, no further changes in parameters

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2020 Mar 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m using version 3.2 CC and this happens to me everything I export a large number of photos. It’s extremely annoying and i always have to go back and delete a ton of duplicate photos! Is there a fix yet??

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2020 Mar 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still happening to me. I’m using a Mac and have the latest 3.2 CC feb 2020 version. It’s extremely annoying and takes forever to save. It’s sad that a service a pay for monthly has issues like this. I’d expect this behavior from free versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are still experiencing this issue please do two things:

1. Respond with your current OS version number
2. Hit the Me-too button at the top of this page. 

Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rikk,

I have the same problem on my 2013 MacBook Pro:

* macOS Catalina 10.15.2

* Lightroom build 20200204-0604-bc5e360

Whenever I try to export raw images from my Canon M50 to jpg, the export gets stuck and starts over, which results in multiple copies of the image. I never had the patience to wait more than 8 hours, which was not enough to export 200 images.

I found the following workaround though:

Deactivate wifi to disconnect Lr from the cloud. Import the images, make your edits, and then export. Then, the export works like a charm. However, as soon as Lr had a connection to the internet, it does not work any more for those images and the export gets stuck.

I noticed that the export also works for photos that are fully uploaded to the cloud already. So I suspect this bug is related to the simultaneous upload and export of images (which is kind of the usual case when you import a lot of images, edit them and directly want to export them).

Hope this helps in finding the bug and fixing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Lightroom CC using desktop install 3.2. When exporting more than 10 photos at a time, multiple duplicate photos are created at random, causing the export to run for an extended period of time, and never completing. This is huge bug that has rendered the program useless. Previously I was able to export without this issue. Using Macbook Pro. I shut down the computer and changed folders without any luck. Please help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacOS Version: 10.15.3 (19D76)

Same issue. It is eating up my time and resources. It is a major problem as I do lot of timelapse work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mojave 10.14.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also experiencing this issue.
  • macOS Catalina 10.15.4 on a MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)
  • Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3.2.1, Build 20200403-1047-0e59df2
Anecdotally, it appears that the duplicates are occurring because the export task restarts for some reason. That is, I see the export task progress bar go back to the beginning, and it restarts exporting files from the beginning with filenames suffixed with "-2" (and then later "-3", "-4", etc if it restarts multiple times) to avoid a collision. For me, this seems to happen mostly with larger export jobs (anecdotally, I found that ~100 images exported as 90% JPEGs generally complete with issues, but if I try 200+ it will restart at least once). I have found that large jobs do sometimes complete if allowed to restart frequently enough (I had a ~300 image export job that ran to completion, but appeared to have restarted 8 times as the most duplicated photos had a '-7' suffix). I'm not sure if the larger jobs cause the restarts to happen more frequently, or if just by being a larger job it's more likely to restart before reaching completion.

Votes

Translate

Translate