Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Desktop: Syncing Issues when Originals are stored on a NAS

LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2019 Mar 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rikk,
besides the outage, I am trying to sync my cloud stored data since several weeks on my NAS (Synology), connected via Gigabit Ethernet. in the beginning it works fine but after 10.000 pictures and movies its not going further (I have about 35.000) and plenty of storage. LR freezes, have to start again then additional 2-3 pictures are synced, that's it. Also I can't use LR since then (open pictures, look into people etc.), when I disconnect the NAS I can work, but not sync. Dont understand why this is not a background task and does LR really look up local backuped NAS Data when I work on data (should only be a backup?). Its frustrating, as this would be the major advantage of the solution?? Any Idea?Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Lightroom CC: Mobile syncs but desktop app doesn't.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Greetings,

Updates for the Adobe Photography Products were officially released on 10.20.2020 that include fixes for this issue. Please install the most recent update and confirm that your issue is now fixed. Please let us know if you encounter any issues.

Thank you for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 127 Replies 127
127 Comments
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2019 Jun 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I had the same issue, even with much less pictures (on 2.3). I have since disabled the "store original locally" because Lightroom became completely unuseable: opening 1 picture for editing would take 20 minutes while "syncing" (which stopped progressing).

Sometimes, I managed to get it to resync by pasting whatever edit-settings onto the photos that were not yet synced. It seems that this action re-activated the syncing progress but it was overall very sluggish. I had the impression that it was a bandwidth-related problem, meaning that I think Lightroom could manage to upload to the cloud and to the NAS at the same time.

Having a NAS-based copy of all my pictures is very important to me - As the OP, I'm using a Synology NAS; A feature request I have would be to allow for a Background sync directly between a NAS and the Creative Cloud Library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 06, 2019 Jul 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk I am still experiencing this issue.  My problems were never resolved.  Lightroom is basically unusable until I disconnect my network drive, which of course defeats the purpose of storing my originals there.

My laptop drive is relatively small.  My NAS drive is big.  I'm happily paying for 1TB of Adobe Cloud Storage, but I feel uncomfortable having ~40k pictures of my family not backed up somewhere else.

If Adobe would just make a small program to sync pictures to a drive that would be ideal.  Lightroom is simply broken in this regard.

I have confirmed I am running on Lightroom 2.3 (May 3rd, 2019) macOS.  It appears to be able to move 1-10  pictures every time the program starts before it locks up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 06, 2019 Jul 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is incredibly frustrating and poorly implemented. This is a key feature for Cloud adoption. I wish I could export back to Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 08, 2019 Jul 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issues. Syncing is incredibly slow. Lightroom CC is unusable as an editing tool. I'm about to cancel my subscription is a solution isn't found soon - its been months without any progress on this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that NAS-backups and Lightroom CC are not working as the sync progress gets stuck.
As I explained in another thread, sometimes you can get it to resume uploading/copying by pasting edit settings (even without any changes) onto the unsynced pictures. But it remains extremely sluggish and slow.

No feedback from Adobe so far.

I have tried every possible combination of wired/wireless connection, Mac/Windows, Desktop/Laptop - very unfortunate that Adobe does not put any emphasis on this as I feel this is a huge feature that could close some of the gap between LR and LR CC (for those 'semi-pros' that are fine with the limited capabilities of LR CC). As others have pointed out, I too would like to have the Creative Cloud backup, but I need the .raw files along with the edit settings on a local backup (NAS), otherwise it's a no-go for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings all,

Since my last comment on this thread 30 days ago I've deployed another Synology NAS configured as closely as I can to what I can glean from the comments found in this thread.  Thus far, we've been unable to reproduce this behavior with our NAS systems in QE.  Syncing operates at the same speed regardless of whether the NAS is connected or not.  We are running Mac 10.14.5 and Win 10 on the NAS and both seem to be performing fine. 

I am hoping someone can provide some additional information that will help us discover where the issue may lie. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,  

I have a library of 90000 pics for about 1.5 T and I use Lightroom CC to play with them.

I want a backup solution on my NAS on top of the cloud storage.

In LR CC preference I have set the local storage of originals to my NAS.

However the following issues are encountered which makes LR CC unusable:

1. Syncing is extremely slow.

2. Sync gets stuck at around 22500 pictures. Restarting app and computer allows the sync of a couple more and that's it.

3. While Syncing the application is just stuck with the infamous circle turning and turning for ever.

4. Cannot navigate into my pics while syncing which should work in the background without affecting the app usage.

5. There is no information whatsoever on the status of the sync progress so I dont know where it will end up. If ever.

I read some posts that other users are encountering similar issues but Adobe does not come with any proper answer .

Note that my computer, NAS, internet, intranet speeds are optimum and work perfectly otherwise.

I have been using this set up locally with Aperture since years with no issues.

I am losing my time, money and nerves with all these LR CC issues.

So I would appreciate if you could be of any help.

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm happy to see this topic being resurrected. I spent no less than 20 hours (yes, actual hours) in chat or on the phone with a half-dozen or more official adobe support agents, and in the end, the only solution I could find (not they) to make this work was to forget the NAS and use only a local hard disk for the "store a copy of originals at the specified location" option, then for backup purposes to manually sync the Lightroom CC folder from that to my NAS. Not ideal. 
I'm running a Synology NAS. 1GB LAN connection between computer and NAS, 300/15 Mbps WAN connection. First 1,000-1,800 are no problem, after that a slow and steady grind to a halt. I've sent in several kinds of very large diagnostic files and apparently that was of no help to Adobe. Currently running Lightroom CC 2.3 on macOS 10.14. And internet and LAN are blazing fast for any other kind of activity, so this is a special Adobe cloud sync issue, not a general LAN or WAN issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2019 Jul 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys

I'm having the exact same problem. I recently switched to Lightroom CC and I have about 260GB of images on Adobe's servers. I then configured Lightroom CC to download the master images to a folder on my Synology NAS. At first everything seemed fine and Lightroom started downloading. However, after about 80GB the problems started and the download became slower and slower. With a lot of playing I managed to get to about 120GB but in the end the download halted completely. At some point I came up with the idea to reset my masters downloads folder to a local folder. So I opened the preferences, set everything correctly, clicked "Done" and then Lightroom prompted me with the dialog that it needed to restart in order for my settings to apply. I clicked restart. However, the application did not restart. I could reproduce this problem and I further noticed that when changing something in the application settings and then reopening the application settings my changes weren't even there anymore. Also other aspects of the application began behaving very weirdly (extreme long load times when looking at images, I could not pause the sync anymore, etc...). In essence Lightroom behaved completely unpredictable. After a lot of fiddeling around I somehow managed that Lightroom accepted my choice of a local folder and about 5GB of my 120GB of downloaded images made it to from my NAS to my local drive. That's a bit weird.... where have the other 115GB gone?? However, Lightroom then immediately began downloading at full speed from the servers and my masters were on my machine in a matter of hours. 

In conclusion I can say that putting the master folder on a NAS does not work with Lightroom CC. At least in my setup. Something seems very wrong when attempting this.

I'm running MacOS Mojave, I have a DS1415+ and I normally get an upload speed of about 700 Mbit/s to my NAS (on WIFI). My Mac is connected via WIFI to the local network. The network drive is mounted using the SMB protocol (not AFP).

Since syncing to a NAS is officially documented on the Lightroom CC help pages I hope that Adobe fixes this issue in a timely manner.

As a sidenote to Adobe: please make it also possible to "back up" all albums and not only the masters. I want to have a worst case scenario backup of my work on my harddrive as well.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2019 Jul 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys, can you help me test a theory please? Can you post how many photos are in All Photos? And how much cloud space they take up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

84,000 photos; 687 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

55083 photos; 424 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the theory?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Adobe's having a little trouble reproducing it, but I suspect they need to test with a larger number of photos. Mine seems to grind to a halt at about 22k out of 100kish. I'm wondering if anyone sees it with smaller volumes (e.g. 20k or less)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was facing the same problem as described in this thread, deleting my online catalog and re-synchronizing it from scratch fixed the issue, only 170 images were not synchronized and I have to fix them manually. Since then all new photos or edits are synchronizing without any issue (although speed is far from my expectations or LR classic).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2019 Jul 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, The problem is exactly the same with small databases, I have one set up with <5000 pictures and 200 GB.

I would bet that it is a problem of ressource/bandwidth allocation when uploading and copying. I experience similar "freezes" for example when I copy files to the NAS and try to sync LR CC. Very often LR would "lose track" of the number of pictures to be synced and just stay unresponsive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2019 Jul 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

338GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2019 Jul 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

338GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 22, 2019 Aug 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issues with about 11,000 images and 330 GB (all RAW.) Lightroom is unusable because neither images nor previews load. It also freezes all the time trying to move newly downloaded images. Single albums with anything from a dozen to a few hundred images also freeze, so I'm not sure the number of images would play a big role.

Funnily, when I unmount the network device before starting LR because then Lightroom relies on the caches or downloads it from the cloud which apparently is much faster than reading it from the NAS, so everything works flawless....

I want the originals on the NAS for backup purposes so I currently, as a "workaround" just mount the NAS folder for new images and then unmount it afterwards... It's a bit stupid but well

Edit: BTW I tried 2.4 too, so the problem does not appear to be solved with the new update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue with MacOS 10.14.6 and Lightroom 2.4. Upload is stalled. My photos are on an external disk.

P.S. I also have problems logging into this forum using the Brave browser because of nasty third party cookies used for tracking purposes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is the external disk connected? If it's not network storage, that could be a different issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same issue where Lightroom CC is essentially unusable while configured to store all originals on my NAS and the NAS is mounted. This thread made me realise that I can unmount the drive and have everything except the backup work.

Important info...

Assets in library: 70k
Assets not synced: 54.5k (78%)
Library size: 518GB
LRCC version: 2.4.1
OS version: macOS 10.14.5
NAS: Synology DS1511+
Mount type: SMB

When my NAS is mounted, there's an interesting behaviour where the first time I launch LRCC I can click on the cloud icon in the top right and see the library size and that it's "Syncing n photos", but if I dismiss that little popup and click the cloud icon again I cannot see the library size or the number of photos remaining to be synced.

The same thing happens if I open Preferences to view the library size shown in the 'Account' tab: it works the first time but the next time I open it there's no sizes listed against 'Backed Up' and 'Available Cloud Storage'.

There are a few others things that don't work while my NAS is mounted:
  • In the Local Storage preferences menu, 'Required Space' says 0 bytes, and 'Photo Cache' says 0.00 MB
  • Navigating between albums or even trying to filter my library (e.g. to see photos where Sync status = 'Syncing') or doesn't work and the loading spinner never disappears
  • Generating a diagnostic log never finishes (it hangs at approx. 50% progress)
As soon as I unmount my NAS and relaunch LRCC everything (except having those 54k photos sync...) works as expected. I've been impressed with everything else after switching from LR Classic, so I'm really hoping there's someone from Adobe looking into this unfortunate trend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share a screenshot of your complete mounting link? "smb...." Send to email expired
Thanks

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same (or similar) issue – I decided to move my ~70.000 originals from my Macs internal disk to a Synology NAS, and Lightroom started to move the originals there. This became slower and slower, and after three days I had to interrupt this by pressing the "stop until next run" button (don't know the English button text, translating from German). 

Now, whenever I start Lightroom, It first checks the photo indices, then it starts to check fotos - right now it says "Foto wird geprüft 120 von 32695" – but it seems to have stalled. Sometimes it stalls earlier, sometimes later. In any case, I will never see it reach the final count. 

What can I do to provide more debugging info?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

72246 photos
~640 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate