Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Desktop: Syncing Issues when Originals are stored on a NAS

LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2019 Mar 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rikk,
besides the outage, I am trying to sync my cloud stored data since several weeks on my NAS (Synology), connected via Gigabit Ethernet. in the beginning it works fine but after 10.000 pictures and movies its not going further (I have about 35.000) and plenty of storage. LR freezes, have to start again then additional 2-3 pictures are synced, that's it. Also I can't use LR since then (open pictures, look into people etc.), when I disconnect the NAS I can work, but not sync. Dont understand why this is not a background task and does LR really look up local backuped NAS Data when I work on data (should only be a backup?). Its frustrating, as this would be the major advantage of the solution?? Any Idea?Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Lightroom CC: Mobile syncs but desktop app doesn't.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Greetings,

Updates for the Adobe Photography Products were officially released on 10.20.2020 that include fixes for this issue. Please install the most recent update and confirm that your issue is now fixed. Please let us know if you encounter any issues.

Thank you for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 127 Replies 127
127 Comments
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rikk, the SMB URL I'm using it smb://192.168.1.5/Photos

I'll email my diagnostic log to you now, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

James, 

I am wondering if you mount your NAS by "Shared volume name" rather than by IP address if you see any difference?
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disconnected my NAS and reconnected it using the address `smb://diskstation/Photos` (where the `diskstation` hostname resolves to the same IP address as before) and when I relaunched LRCC it showed me the red bar across the top that says "/Volumes/Photos is disconnected. Please reconnect to finish syncing", even though that path exists and was mounted, albeit via a subtly different address.

I was trying a few different things to trick LRCC into accepting the "new" way of mounting the same NAS drive and eventually realised I should reset my preferences. After I did that it quickly scanned for the ~17k photos I have backed up to my NAS but had some sort of error. One option, though, was to 'forget path' or 'forget drive' which I did, and the error message in the red bar is now gone when I have /Volumes/Photos mounted via `smb://diskstation/Photos`, but I'm still seeing the same behaviour as in my original post.

I'm tempted to delete both the 'Managed Catalog.*' files within my `Lightroom Library.lrlibrary` bundle, as well as the `/Volumes/Photos/Lightroom CC` path and start the backup process again to see if that helps, because I'm running out of other ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Current status on this issue:

At Adobe we are currently unable to reproduce this problem in house with our NAS connected devices. In order to attempt to identify and fix the issue we would need a few persons experiencing the issue to do the following:
  1. Contact me via Email indicating your willingness
  2. Install a Config.lua file on your system.
  3. Encounter the problem
  4. Send us the requested log file
  5. Provide NAS Model/Description
  6. Provide Total Storage of NAS
  7. Provide Total Free Space on the NAS
If you are willing and able to do this, contact me at (email removed)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2019 Nov 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick question: Is the recent update of LR supposed to fix the issue? I didn't try to move to the NAS yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I quickly checked it, and it seems to persist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can check the status of issues at the top of the page. This one is still "In-Progress". When fixed, it will say solved. We are continuing to investigate this issue. Thank you for your continued patience. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same issue. 

2014 Mac Mini on Catalina.
Latest version of Lightroom from the App Store (3.0 MAS)
ReadyNAS 104 with 4x 4TB HDDs setup in Raid 5 (Firmware 6.10.2)

Lightroom would freeze and not sync when a mapped drive on the NAS was selected as the location to store originals.

As a work around I selected a local location and successfully downloaded all originals (approx 25000 photos/150gb). I then tried changing the location to the NAS. After a restart, Lightroom started moving the folders to the NAS but it froze after moving around 3500 photos.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 60,000 images and after 35,000 stored to the NAS LR has stalled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the issue is the instruction for LR to use the Originals on the NAS as the primary data source.  LR should just use the cloud originals (and just update the NAS originals as needed).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk, in your testing have you used >40,000 photos?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have. Still no hiccups

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't suppose someone could try it on a home network Rikk? I'd guess Adobe's network is optimized to the hilt by a bunch of techie experts, whereas the average home network will likely be slower and hit a few more glitches. I suspect it's worse over WiFi than wired too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have the problem with a wired gigabit connection between the NAS and my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 24, 2019 Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLVED - (actually bypassed)

I think I managed to bypass the issue with my NAS.  It took me a while (because I am not a techno) but I have created SCSI drive on the NAS and connected to it from the computer ... in the last 24 hours I have down loaded and stored on the NAS 55,000 originals.  When I left this morning it only had 6,000 to go (and this is all on WiFi) 🙂

From what I can work out the SCSI is a direct access drive (LR thinks it is a local hard drive) rather than a NAS which is a shared service.

I still believe the issue stems from LR trying to use the local originals (which are not local) as the primary data source.  The store originals option should be just that storage (backup copy).  Use the cloud for the working copy (it does a very good job).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From Victoria: "I don't suppose someone could try it on a home network Rikk?"
Yes, both Dev and QE have taken NAS's home with them and tried them on their home networks. We've tried to VPN into the NAS remotely and other methods. We are still unable to reproduce.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anything we can do to help?

And have you checked whether this could be related to the country the user comes from? For example, I am from Germany, and it could be that this results in different servers being used for the cloud?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk, if any of the engineers want to screen share and root around my NAS settings to see if they can track it down, they're very welcome to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates on this topic? I have the same issue. Syncing stops mostly every time. After Lightroom start I see a cloud connection for just a few seconds. In these seconds I can switch between my 44k images. After a few seconds Lightroom looses connection and I am not able to switch between images. I see only the blue loading circle until I close Lightroom.

I use the latest Lightroom cloud version on Mac OS X Catalina with a Synology NAS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How long should it take to create the diagnostic log or one of the others? For each log it stops half way and then nothing happens the next hour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is too long. You may need to turn off your NAS to generate the log. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2020 Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still having the same issue. It's been ongoing for over six months now. Is there any more information we can provide to speed up a fix?

I am using a 2019 Macbook Pro on Catalina with a WD MyCloud NAS setup.

When clicking on the cloud icon in the top right-hand corner of Lightroom, it frequently says "Unable to connect to network" and during this time nothing syncs.

Occassionally it does connect and allows the syncing of three or four photos, then it disconnects again.

I currently have a library of 119,000 photos which I'm slowly reducing with a purge, but this isn't helping anything.

My NAS is connected and working without issue for other programs such as media streaming through Plex, and browsing files on the NAS works fine too, so it's nothing to do with the functionality of the NAS itself.

Six months down the line I am extremely disheartened. Unfortunately I've looked at alternatives to Lightroom and none of them offer the functionality I need. I LOVE Lightroom CC as a program but the syncing issue is intolerable... I bought my NAS specifically to store my photos. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you add your files to Lightroom Cloudy? I've had similar issue after migrating library from Lightroom Classic and I have resolved it by resetting the cloud library to zero and reimporting Classic library in batches. Since then no more issues with sync and all originals are stored on my local NAS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the Apple Photos library stored locally on my MacBook and then I did the migration. The Lightroom Cloud folder to store the files locally is on the Synology NAS.

The problem is that Lightroom Classic is not able to migrate/import the Apple Photos Library. This Library is different from iPhotos and for sure also different from the Aperture Library. So if you want to migrate the Apple Photos Library there is - from my point of view - the only chance to use Lightroom Classic.

Maybe we can try to deactivate the option to store all files locally during migration. But at least after activating again during normal process, the syncing won't be really work.

I am sorry, but this situation with Lightroom is not acceptable. The bills should be refunded...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so I understand you've just added all the files in local folder with photos. I don't see other option to migrate from Apple Photos library. I would still clean up the entire library on https://lightroom.adobe.com/ and add photos again but in smaller batches - move to the next batch only after it is fully synchronized.

Votes

Translate

Translate